Anyone else having Amazon review issues?

Until last week, I’d post a review and get a message a few hours later (at most) that it had been accepted. Last week, I posted a review and got a message that I had to review 6 more items. The reviews weren’t approved until a few days later. I had the same thing happen today.

Previously, they quickly posted reviews for people who had spent at least $50 on their site. My family spends more than that each month in their subscription program.

Anyone else having the same issue with their reviews?

1 Like

I’ve read in the GR forum that it’s a staggered roll out of a new review system. I’m posting the what was quoted: “It’s a staggered roll out, so not everyone is seeing these numbers. They refer to the number of reviews you can post in a week. The week resets on Sundays.”

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! Now I’ll be able to do a better job of planning my reviews for them.

2 Likes

I stopped posting on Amazon.com precisely because they required me to buy items before accepting my reviews. I bought a few things a few years back and could post reviews. Then I get a note about how I haven’t bought anything in a while so they’re not accepting my reviews any longer! So sorry!

What a bunch of grasping, mercenary, avaricious jerks! Screw this nonsense! Some critics have suggested that we should try buying books, CDs, et al., at other websites. See if we can get cheaper prices elsewhere. I took that as a very good suggestion. Forget Amazon if I have to let them dip into my pockets simply in order to post a review about a book I’ve read.

4 Likes

So sorry for your unpleasant experience. I for one just loves Amazon shopping. The subscribe and save feature is a godsend for us since we are so remote from shopping civilization. I’ve been a member of Prime since 2000 and a lot has changed since then, but I still love the convenience and the review feature is a bonus.

2 Likes

I am regularly on launch teams where I get the books a few weeks before they’re published. Some authors give out their author copies for review. And, in some cases I’ve won ADVANCED REVIEW COPY books from LibraryThing.

Sometimes, especially with a certain group of bible study books – the first almost 2-3 weeks from the release, Amazon has been claiming:

Amazon has noticed unusual reviewing activity on this product. Due to this activity, we have limited this product to verified purchase reviews.”

And, the one book this is pertaining to – ZERO reviews and it released 5 days ago. How is that “unusual”?? And, it has only happened to the bible study books I’ve been on the launch team for. This recent one and the one before that.

Another trend I noticed – they will take upwards to 3-5 days to post a review. One time it took 5 days for a book review.

Then again, I usually spend about $75+ a month on other items, along with books. And, I’ve been a customer since 2004. I’ve been a Prime subscriber since 2015.

One last trend I’ve noticed – they state the review can’t be posted because it violates their community policies.

Some “hints” they give don’t even pertain to the review:

• Your review should focus on specific features of the product and your experience with it. Feedback on the seller or your shipment experience should be provided at www.amazon.com/hz/feedback.
  • We do not allow profane or obscene content. This applies to adult products too.
  • Advertisements, promotional material or repeated posts that make the same point excessively are considered spam.
  • Please do not include URLs external to Amazon or personally identifiable content in your review.
  • Any attempt to manipulate Community content or features, including contributing false, misleading, or inauthentic content, is strictly prohibited.

I get they don’t want people abusing the system when it comes to book reviews. They don’t want exaggerated stats or attacks. But, a lot of authors depend on the release day reviews to build up the sales for the week as well as the period for the book. This also helps their publisher continue to publish their work.

I think Amazon’s “algorithm” needs a re-tuning for sure. I get they want you to spend a set amount over time but in some cases – I think they abuse their own system.

As of note, I’ve not had many problems with Barnes & Noble reviews.

2 Likes

I actually just posted my Beasts Of Prey review on the release date and a few days later they said it violated their review policies. (I’ve posted reviews on there before and never had an issue). The only difference was I had emojis in the review, but I then took them out and tried to resubmit.

Later I read the “fine print” and it said that once a review has been deemed against policy, you cannot submit another review for that product.

I’m also an Amazon prime member and constantly purchase stuff from them so it is really frustrating.

1 Like

My Amazon review experience has been very similar to the responses above–sometimes I get same day approval, others it takes days. I tried to review Courageous Faith on Amazon and was not allowed to do so due to “unusual reviewing activity” and just received the same for Playing the Cards You’re Dealt. I feel so bad for the authors because more reviews means more people see their hard work!!!

2 Likes