Physical copies vs ebooks

Physical books all the way. I do have a couple of books on my ipad, but have yet to read.
I check-out books at the library and buy books at the library sales (fill the bag for $5 - you can get quite a few books). Yes, I do buy books too.

1 Like

i hear you as only the “best of the best” are bought in hardcover as they really are expensive!

Oh I get a lot of hardcovers at the secondhand shops too. But sometimes I just can’t wait to ‘find’ a book I really want so I’ll buy it when it releases. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Either way I’m giving a book a home.

1 Like

I want to get a e reader are they less hard in the eyes than phones or tablets ? I am new here and was just curious it would let me get books a little cheaper.

1 Like

also, are e readers lighter than tablets…the only problem, back in the day, with computers was getting carpal tunnel (which i got @ 16, from the piano too) but they are hard on the eyes…i find that i am getting issues with my eyes cause of computers (and im getting old). i am just curious if e readers are lighter than tablets cause i had neck surgery and i have to hold all that i read up, i cant look down on anything anymore cause of the bone replacement

1 Like

Yes I have cerebral palsy from birth and have to hold things in one hand so lightweight things are extremely important thank you for bringing that up as I should probably see if I could lift it before I get it.I had to get special covers for my device in case of drops have been lucky so far but lifting an iPad is difficult and so are androids in larger sizes it seems they don’t make smaller devices anymore or not as much I am nearsighted but notice dry eye if I overuse my phone.

1 Like

I prefer my Kindle Oasis for reading. It’s very light to hold so it doesn’t aggravate my wrists. I’m getting older so I increase the font so that I don’t have to strain or wear reading glasses while using. It also has warm light instead of blue light and I set it on a really low setting so that I can read in bed at night when I can’t sleep. I’ve found that even if I have books that are in print early, I tend to wait until they’re at the library so I can download the ebook and read it instead. I just don’t like to hold them and strain to read the small print anymore. I do love having pretty hardcovers on my shelves of my favorites, but they’ve usually never been read unless they were borrowed. My local small bookstore owner usually pays attention to what I order because she knows I’ve already read it and given it 5 stars. LOL

2 Likes

Thank you this really helps our local library allows borrowing through kindle and I would like to borrow that way.Also kindle books are cheaper.

1 Like

I’m actually new to the kindle app, so this is actually the first year that I’m not having to purchase every book from my TBR. And I do the same thing, like if I listened to the book / series on audible and loved it, then I buy the hard copies. While I know it’s better to shop local, I usually buy my books at half priced books and if they don’t have it there, I go to Amazon.

1 Like

I borrow from the library as much as I can because it supports them and means I can read what I want for free. I’m leaning more towards audiobooks currently as it means I can do other things (work, errands etc.) whilst still getting the story. I do still read physical copies of books because sometimes they work better that way, but I lean more towards ebooks and audiobooks.

I only buy books if I really enjoy them, if buying them is my only way of being able to read then, or if I really want to support an author I like, otherwise it’s borrowing. Scribd is pretty decent for the price if you do like e/audiobooks.

1 Like

Need to give my eyes a rest.

1 Like

Physical copies!

I hate reading off a screen.

1 Like

I really like physical books, but read only e-books, because I read them outside.

1 Like