Recommendations for July Board

Hi Guys,
I saw that the July board had a prompt for a book that was suggested or recommended by someone through the Forum. I thought I would create a post where we could suggest books to each other for the July board.

I personally am looking to read more classics, so if anyone has any suggestions of their favorite classics let me know!

If anyone wants any suggestions just leave your favorite genre and we can leave suggestions for one another!

4 Likes

I recommend Burn Our Bodies Down (July 7th) by Rory Power for anyone who wants to read a slow burn YA horror. It could also fit books published in July. Maybe even a few others if you read it, then you will know.

2 Likes

This is a great idea! I mainly read romance but I’m looking to read historical fiction because I’ve been meaning to get more into the genre if anyone wants to recommend me anything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. It all depends on what you like to read about. I loved “The Secret Wife of Aaron Burr” and “I Eliza” by Susan Holloway Scott. If you like Tudor period England I love Phillipa Gregory’s books. Lisa See also writes some amazing historical fiction books. There’s 'The Tattooist of Auschwitz" which was one of my favorite historical fiction books I read last year.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for the recommendations!! I read a few pages of “I, Eliza” from Overdrive and liked it so I’m probably going to end up reading that one. @cstrong555

1 Like

“All The Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr is a great historical fiction option!

3 Likes

America’s First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie is excellent if you are looking for historical fiction.

2 Likes

Darius the Great is Not Okay by Adib Khorram is my go-to. It’s a YA contemporary with both racial and LGBT+ diversity and discusses mental illness in a wonderful way. Also, sequel coming this summer! Happy reading :open_book:

3 Likes

Hi, I too am looking for book recommendations. I read most genres, when I have the time! Currently reading A year at castle court by Holly Hepburn, a nice easy read, some twists but mostly predictable. It is an easy book to just pick up when I have a spare 5 minutes when i get home from work (and have been through past few months). My personal favourites of the past few months have been: historical fiction, Tidelands by Philippa Gregory, The Mercies by Kiran Millwood Hargrave. Classics; Rest you merry by Charlotte McLeod, The great Gatsby F Scott Fitzgerald. Other books I have enjoyed are: The travelling cat chronicles by Hiro Arikawa - this is set in Japan. Hope these ideas appeal to some of you. Looking forward to your recommendations. Take care, happy reading.

If anyone is into non-fiction, I highly recommend the memoir Hollywood Park by Mike Jollett who escaped from a cult and later in life started the group The Airborne Toxic Event. It is well written and intensely moving. Probably the best book I’ve read this year.

1 Like

@cstrong555 Classics is such a broad genre, so if you let us know what you like, I would have a better idea of what to recommend. My favorite is Little Women and anything by Jane Austen. But if that’s not so much your taste, let me know, I have plenty of other recommendations on the classics spectrum!

@jen.ni If you’re looking for historical fiction within the romance genre, I’ve got you there! Have you read anything by Lauren Willig? The Pink Carnation series is one of my favorites. It takes place during the Napoleonic wars. The girls can be a little silly, but they are a lot of fun. I also LOVED The Luxe series by Anna Godberson.

1 Like

I would love to get some rom-com recs, honestly the fluffier the better. I am devouring them right now and have blown through my TBRs super quickly in the last couple of months and would love to get some more recommendations!

2 Likes

No, I haven’t read anything by her, but I do like historical romances so I checked that one out from my library. I’m looking forward to starting it!

And if you like fluffy books I’d recommend anything by Tessa Dare who writes my favorite historical romantic comedies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you’re looking for a contemporary instead, try The Happy Ever After Playlist by Abby Jimenez. It does have a bit of angst, but I enjoyed it.

1 Like

If you’re in the mood for a rom-com, I highly recommend Get a Life Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert, Island Affair by Priscilla Oliveras, The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa, and Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn :heart::books:

1 Like

My 2020 reading has consisted 75% romances (which is not a bad thing) but I would love a fantasy or sci-fi recommendation! Definitely more of a YA reader for those genres. I’ve been catching up on Cassie Clare this year.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a historical fiction series specifically about Henry VIII’s wives?

You’re right it is a very broad genre. I’m not going to help much by saying I’m up for anything. Little Women is my absolute favorite classic. I’ve read it so many times! I’ve also read everything by Jane Austen (I took a class in my undergrad devoted to reading her books). I have gone into a deep dive of children’s classics recently
Other classics I know I’ve read:
-A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
-Cinderella
-Peter Pan
-Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass
-The Wind in the Willows
-Frankenstein
-Night
-The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
-The Adventures of Huck Finn
-Paradise Lost
-The Great Gatsby
-Most of Shakespeare’s Work
-The Kill a Mockingbird/Go Set a Watchman
-To the Lighthouse
-Mrs. Dalloway
-Wuthering Heights
-Animal Farm
-Ethan Frome
-A Separate Peace
-Of Mice and Men
-The Pearl
-The Color Purple
-A Brave New World
-All of the Chronicles of Narnia
-The Outsiders
-The BFG
-Matilda
-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
-The Witches
-The Importance of Being Earnest
-Charlotte’s Web
-The Scarlet Letter

I need to get back into the Shadowhunters books in the not so distant future. I definitely lean more fantasy than sci-if, but I highly recommend the Daevabad trilogy by S. A. Chakraborty. The third just dropped yesterday! My book club read the first one and we all really enjoyed it.

I also loved Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. It’s her first “adult” novel, so the themes were heavier, but as she is a well established YA Fantasy writer, her writing style is easy to read. If it’s the themes that deter you from adult fantasy, anything else of hers is also going to be great!

1 Like

This is my favorite subsection of historical fiction. I would recommend anything by Phillipa Gregory! I recently read Fatal Throne which is a collection where each of the wives has a different author. Last year I read “The Last Wife of Henry VIII” and really enjoyed that book. It’s by Carolly Erickson. Alison Weir also does a great job with Tudor era historical fiction. I’ve only read “Innocent Traitor” and “The Lady Elizabeth” by her, but I believe she is working on a book for each of the wives that I want to read. I think she is up to Jane.

1 Like