December 2022 Bookish Bingo 🎁

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

And now that I’ve finally finished my last book of the year (at least, I’m assuming I won’t finish another book in the next 2 hours), I can finally post my card!

The books read for this card are:
(Snow on the Cover) The Winter Freak Show by Daniel Parsons
(Sew During a Winter Holiday) The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna (though the book takes place over a period of several months, the winter holiday is a very important time for the book)
(Protagonist is Jewish) Anya and the Dragon by Sofiya Pasternack
(Under 200 Pages) I Shrunk My Best Friend: Ooops! by Katrina Kuhler & John Zakour (serious “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” vibes without the air-headed dad)
(Author You Want to Read More of in 2023) Aru Shah and the City of Gold by Roshani Chokshi
(BookishFirst Staff Favorite) Blood Water Paint by Joy McCullough (VERY good, but serious TWs)
(Published in December) Spectrum: Short Stories of Science Fiction, the Unusual, and the Upredictable by Michael Duda (published in Dec 2020)
(Hockey) Hockey Meltdown by Jake Maddox
(Red or Green Cover) The Crimson Vault by Will Wight
(Been on Your TBR All Year) The Golden Enclaves by Naomi Novik
(Received as a Gift) Mother of Learning Arc II by nobody103/Domagoj Kurmaic
(Blue or White Covers) Son of the Storm by Suyi Davies Okungbawa
(Free Square) Beyond the Deepwoods by Paul Stewart & Chris Russell
(One-Word Title) Summerland by Michael Chabon
(Published in 2022) Bloodmarked by Tracey Deonn
(Featured on BookishFirst) The Sunbearer Trials
(Snowed In) The Jigsaw Blade by Steve Collier
(Title Includes a Temperature Descriptor) Chilling Effect by Valerie Valdes
(Last in a Series) A Fractured Song: The Broken Melody by Vincent Yam (The story is set up to be a series, but as far as I can find, there’s no information about whether or not a sequel will be published.)
(Title Begins with a D) Deadbeat Druid by David R. Slayton
(On a Friend’s Best of 2022) Eyrie by K. Vale Nagle
(Audiobook Listened to While Wrapping Gifts) Skyborn: Call of the Crow by Jessica Khoury (I wrapped no presents this year, so this is simply an audiobook I listened to)
(Last Book You Read in 2022) Weakling by L.I.T. Tarassenko
(Set in a Remote Location) A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig
(A Mistletoe Kiss Occurs or is Avoided) Blame It on the Mistletoe by Eli Easton

2 Likes

Busy month!!!

1 Like

I can’t believe I forgot to post this yesterday
 Too busy trying to cram in some extra reads to finish off my year at 301 completed books!!

Didn’t quite blackout this time around

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Glad I was able to finish the entire Mars series and get them all to fit into the Bingo this month! Great series if you are curious about the social implications of what would happen if we tried to colonize Mars.

Got the second book in the YA Lunar Chronicle Series into a square this month with Scarlet. I’m really enjoying this series so far.

The book that took me by far the longest was The Power Broker. A hugely influential man that has literally shaped all the biggest cities in the US (most notably New York, obviously) that isn’t really known or talked about outside of Urban Planning circles. When I started the book, I thought maybe I could fulfill the Jewish Protagonist square, but he made it known that he was 1) very much not Jewish and 2) by the end you figure out he’s not really a protagonist even in his own biography.

My husband was excited for me to read The Way of Kings since Brandon Sanderson is by far his favorite author. I still think this is a somewhat cheated square since I read it as a 2022 book that your friend recommended. He insists since he read it in 2022 it counts. I’m definitely figuring out how to fit the next books into the series into the January bingo.

1 Like

1 Like

I am so sorry. I didn’t realize I had a notification! I enjoyed it. I usually don’t read short stories but this one had a few enjoyable ones. I would definitely recommend if you are a POC and/or immigrant or have an immigrant family as them a lot more of the stories would resonate more deeply with you :slight_smile:

1 Like