Friday Question #148 - First Read of 2023

Happy 2023! :tada:

Share your first read of the year and how you first heard of it.

1 Like

In December, as I was in Targetā€™s book section (I canā€™t pass up any book section in any store) for Christmas shopping. I saw this bright orange book cover. I had to see the book. Itā€™s title is ā€œThe Subtle Art Of Not Giving A #@%! a Counterintuitive Approach of Living a Good Lifeā€ by Mark Manson. The title made me laugh, so I bought it. Unbenounced to me, it fit the Bingo category of ā€˜Punctuation in the Titleā€™. So, it became for first read of 2023.
Forewarning if you want to read the book there is lots of cussing, funny and serious stories. Definitely not a book for everyone.

2 Likes

The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan I bought it at the local thrift store

1 Like

ā€œThank You for Listeningā€ by Julia Whelan was my first completed book for 2023. This was an audiobook that surprised me because I had not thought I would truly enjoy the book; I had started it because it was recommended by a person I follow.

I loved this book and have reread it a few times.

1 Like

Murder in a Cape Cottage by Maddie Day. I won it in a Facebook contest.

1 Like

Just finished once upon a broken heart by Stephanie Garber. I found it as a follow on to the caravel series. I hated the middle but it was so gushy and cringe but then stay up most the night last night finishing it as the ending was so good! Canā€™t wait for the ballad never after now :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first read of the year is THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE By racial beanland. I heard of it during a zoom meeting on Bookreporter.com. I am reading an ARC. This book will be published in April.

1 Like

A special publication of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott which was organized with additional historical information by Catherine Miles (2022). I received this book from Book Sirens for review. It is quite interesting to learn of the historical and biographical information of the author all in one book.

1 Like

I got ā€œArsenic and Adobeā€ for Christmas. Itā€™s from an author new to me, Mia P. Manansala. A ā€˜cozyā€™ mystery to start off the year, with plenty of Phillipino food.

2 Likes

My first read of 2023 was Lynn Painterā€™s The Do-Over. I bought it just before the end of the year because I absolutely enjoyed her debut book Better Than the Movies.

1 Like

Mine was ā€œBread Over Troubled Watersā€ by Winnie Archer. As with most of what I read, it was a review copy from another source, which typically sends me 2-3 books/month.

1 Like