Friday Question #154 - Favorite Retellings

Happy Friday!

Share your favorite retelling (a new version of a story like a fairy tale or myth) in the replies and what story it remixes :open_book:

My Plain Jane is a good retelling of Jane Eyre.
Anna K is a retelling of Anna Karenina

…and Hooked is a pretty good “reimagining” of Peter Pan with a little smut and a little violence. I think so far those are probably all of my favorite retellings.

1 Like

I really liked Jo & Laurie by Margaret Stohl and Melissa de la Cruz.
I’ve read other books by de la Cruz and they are always really creative takes on fairy tales, other books’ characters, Disney characters.

1 Like

Malice by Heather Walter is a retelling of sleeping beauty. I bought it when it was a Barnes and Noble monthly pick, and I enjoyed it. Still haven’t read the second in the series though.

1 Like

They say that THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE is a retelling of HAMLET. That would be my favorite

1 Like

My favorites are by Juliet Marillier, they are fairytale retellings with Celtic folklore (Daughter of the forest) and Wildwood dancing is very whimsical (12 dancing princess)

1 Like

I read A Tale Dark And Grimm by Adam Gidwitz and my fifth grade class loved it. It is Hansel and Gretel like you have never seen them, plus a few other fairy tales thrown in. It is gross and gory and that’s what the kids loved. Like a good fairy tale, it is totally unbelievable and silly-you can’t take it seriously. It also sparked a discussion about Banned Books since it has at one time or another been banned. It also won several awards and was made into a movie.

1 Like

I enjoyed Gilded by Marissa Meyer. It is a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. The story is told in a duology and I am looking forward to reading the second half of the story in Cursed. I’m excited to find out how it ends.

1 Like