Friday Question #160 - Annotations

Happy Friday, Readers!

Do you annotate or take notes in your books?

No, I don’t. If I do want to take notes, I write them on a piece of paper and keep it with the book - usually notes for a review.

2 Likes

I used to write notes in my college books and I may have a couple of times in a self-help book or something of that sort. Other than that, I do not write in my books and honestly can’t recall the last time I did. I have taken notes to keep characters or a timeline straight a couple of times, but not directly in the book.

2 Likes

If I need to make a note, it’s on a separate piece of paper and I’ll keep it with the book. They can be just about anything: character issues or who belongs to whom or for a future review.

1 Like

I make my notes (for book reviews) either on the blank pages in the back of a calendar planning book or on a separate piece of paper if the book seems so detailed that I know I want more writing space. The separate piece of paper stays in the book until I finish reading it, and then I staple it into my planner. Occasionally I put a small check mark in a top corner of a book’s page if I feel that page is a turning point of some type in the plot or a character’s life and I’m not in the mood to stop at that moment and make detailed notes.

1 Like

I usually read physical books so I don’t feel comfortable writing in a book. I either write notes on post-its and put inside books or write out separately in a notebook

1 Like

I did when I was in high school/college if it was for literary books I owned. Now I’ll jot down notes usually to look up more about something they referenced that I didn’t know about or didn’t know much about so I can read more about it.

I don’t write or highlight anything in physical books. I do have a separate spiral notebook where I jot down notes and page numbers. I then use that same notebook to write out a draft review. For digital books, I use the highlight and notetaking features and use them as reference when I write out my review draft, which also happens to be in my spiral notebook. So when the year is over, I have those spiral notebooks to look back upon my year of reviewing and rating.

Not usually but I’ve bought a few books specifically for research for writing and I tend to add a bunch of bookmarks with notes to those. This is the one I read this month and the colored flags are for notes on pacing.

I use post-it arrow-shaped sticky notes to mark pages I want to remember. Then I leaf back through them and transfer my thoughts to my review outline in my iPad’s Notes. Then I stick the post-its back on the front of the book and I’m ready to read again🤷🏼‍♀️

1 Like

No I never write in books if I take notes it is on a separate piece of paper.

1 Like

I highlight sentences and paragraphs.

1 Like

Never, ever, have I a defaced a book by writing in it! It’s a mortal sin.

2 Likes

I don’t. If for some reason I need to take notes on something, I write on post-it notes and stick them in the book…

Yes! I write, highlight, draw, and stick things in. If I’m enjoying a book I treat it as a reading journal as I go through it.

1 Like