Friday Question #167 - Reading Slump

Happy Friday!

How do you get out of a reading slump? Share your tips to get back in the reading groove :arrow_down:

If I start to feel like readin isn’t a pleasure and am falling into a slump -I take a few days off of reading. If I am stuck in a slump, I will find a book I’ve been dying to read and treat myself by buying it. That will usually get me back into reading.

2 Likes

Try a new genre or author short stories or just a break like after reviewing a raffle win I will take a short break to rest my eyes and regroup.

1 Like

I was in a slump for a few months and picked up a new release by one of my fav authors, which helped. Also reading shorter books you’re able to finish in a sitting or two.

2 Likes

Drop your planned TBR if you have one, and read something you’ve wanted to read for a long time. Whether that’s a backlist from your favourite author, or a newly anticipated release— read something you absolutely WANT to read!

5 Likes

I like to reread a favorite book. One maybe from my childhood even. Something that gives me the feels. That usually works.

4 Likes

I like to do this as well. Sometimes not even the entire book, just a part that I absolutely love.

1 Like

I like to do this as well. Sometimes not even the entire book, just a part that I absolutely love.

3 Likes

If I’m in a slump but I want to read I go and read old favorites. Especially ones it’s been a minute since I’ve read. And if that doesn’t work after several books I just let it go for a few days. I don’t force it or the slump goes longer. I read a lot of fantasy so I focus on other fantasy media like tv shows or video games until the urge strikes me again.

1 Like

I always go back to a book I enjoy reading repeatedly, and even if it’s just a few chapters, I will get enthusiastic about finding something that excites me.

2 Likes

I try to figure out why I’m in a reading slump first. If it’s because I’m happy overall and not being pulled to read because I’m not trying to escape my life, then I just try to read a little bit at a time. I don’t force myself to commit to finishing any books. I watch less bookish content as well during this time. So in order to get back into reading, I’ll try out watching some bookish videos. If it’s because of the last book I read, in a good or bad way, I’ll just search for a book that sounds far or very close from/to that one in plot and try that one out. You’re a reader, you always will be. You’ll come back to reading, I promise.

1 Like

Well I was sick last month for over 2 weeks.So I started a new series. I’m on 5th book of Ann Cleeves, Shetland Islands mysteries. I’d watched the British TV show, but (of course) the books are so much better! So far, each has been set on a different island , and it all takes place BEFORE the TV timeline. I try to read different genres , but I always come back to mysteries. I can stay awake to read them!!

1 Like

The Hannah Swenson mystery novels are better in book form as well they are fun to read and have recipes I read them if I need a lighter read or also to get out of a slump also YA is great for that as well.

1 Like

I try a different genre. Sometimes I get stuck on reading the same genre. Switching it up helps

3 Likes

I haven’t been in a reading slump since I was in college. And that was only because I had so much homework all the time. The only way I got out of that was by graduating from college. I haven’t been in a reading slump since then. That was 1980.

I usually read an old favorite, and if that doesn’t work- I give reading a little rest. Listen to podcasts instead or fill my head with a bunch of trash TV (my go-to trash tv show is like Jersey Shore or Love Island) my brain is usually begging me for something with substance after a week of that! :rofl:

1 Like