Friday Question #25: Do you take notes while you read?

if i’m starting a book that has a lot of characters that are going to be main characters then i’ll write down who each person is & what they do in the book on a index card to reference while reading but I don’t find that I need to take notes for my reviews unless i’m
reading very very slow.

I never really made notes unless it was for school. I’ve been thinking of doing it again so I can remember what’s going on and who is who. I also think it could help me with reviews. I got the idea from the audio book Barkskins by Annie Proulx that is 25hr long and goes though multiple generation. It was hard to keep up on what is happening to the end. More because I got lost with the people than the story. I am horrible at names! Worth the read, and she did add family trees so that kind of helps.

I don’t take notes while I read

If I’m reading a book strictly for enjoyment no I don’t take notes. If it’s a non-fiction or a particular “strikes me I will put a sticky note on that page. When I finish the book I’ll go back and decide whether to save the quotes under my Notes app or to type them up for future reference. So I guess I like a mixture

I only take notes for my book club reads so I can enhance my ability to discuss deeper topics!

Yes, it helps me to keep track of the characters, story lines, quotes. I am usually reading more than one book at a time so this is helpful to keep them straight.

I only take notes if it is a medical or scientific type book and I want to make sure I spell everything correctly.

I start a Google document for every single book I read. Any time a thought goes through my head about the book, I write it down there. It helps me process my own thoughts and feelings about the material and it really helps me write out my reviews when I’m done reading the book.

I honestly do not take notes, I just write a review right after I finish so it is fresh in my mind!

I actually write my reviews as I read… Makes it much easier when I have finished the book.

1 Like

Yes, 1) if I plan to write a lengthy review or 2) it is nonfiction and I’m hoping to remember some bits. I have tried to journal about books and I never stick with it.

1 Like

Yes, just starting to do this. I think it helps to take notes and write down ideas as I’m reading. It makes writing a review much easier.

1 Like

I love to read and fear that if I started taking notes, it would take the enjoyment out of reading. I may try it during spring break though. Maybe for favorite quotes.

1 Like