Friday Question #56: Do you judge books by their covers?

Happy Friday, BookishFirst Readers!

Do you judge books by their covers? If so, what types of book covers are you most drawn to and are most likely to read?

Absolutely. There are times I disregard a book because the cover is so awful - meaning bad photography, etc.
And there are many times I grab a book because of the cover - mostly anything with a historic gown on it, for example P. Gregory’s books on queens.

3 Likes

I have a friend who designs book covers, and I’ve become a lot more judgmental about book covers since I’ve known her (and worked in publishing). But I have totally bought (and read) books because I loved their covers (A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray comes to mind).

I keep waiting for the Winternight trilogy by Katherine Arden to be released as a boxed set in North America. I love the covers of most of the editions of those books in the world.

1 Like

Sometimes yes while walking through the store

1 Like

Definitely! Pretty books grab my attention, and the covers also help me to know if I’ll be interested in the content!

1 Like

Unfortunately, yes. If the cover is disagreeable to me, I won’t read the book. An attractive cover will draw someone in and make them pick up the book.

1 Like

Yes, I do. Some covers just look creepy to me or if they have a snake it’s a no as I don’t want to hold that. If it’s an ebook, that’s different but a good cover on any book needs to draw me in or be in my comfort zone.

1 Like

Yes, yes and yes! Where it’s a “real”, physical book or an e-book it doesn’t matter. If I don’t like the cover I’m not reading it. Plenty of times I have even sent for the UK edition of books in order to get it in a different cover. Idiotically judgmental? Yes, but oh well that’s the way it is.

1 Like

No I don,t judge a book by its cover .

1 Like

Oh yes! I must admit that it isn’t always an indicator of what is inside. Although, I guess if a person cares enough to have a beautiful cover then the inside most likely is written with the same consideration. I have noticed a lot of books with similar if not the same cover. It confuses me as to whether or not I’ve read the book.

I love book covers which are interesting and seem pertinent to the books genre. A beautiful cover does make me want to read it over a dull or rudimentary cover. That being said some independently published books have been true gems in disguise!

2 Likes

Yes. If a cover is washed out or is unappealing I will rarely pick it up.

2 Likes

I do to a point. I am more likely to give a book I’ve never heard of a go if the cover is appealing. I also hate buying a movie tie-in edition of most books, too. A lot of the time the characters don’t fit the visual I have in my own mind.

3 Likes

They say you shouldn’t, but that’s ridiculous. Of course I do! I avoid books with certain types of covers, for example, books with romantic looking pictures of Women in long flowing gowns and bare-chested muscled men.

2 Likes

As O scroll through books on Edelweiss or NetGalley I’ll occasionally stop for a cover. The problem for me is that too many covers are alike. WWIi stories are the first that come to mind. They all seem to have a wispy look. Thrillers have a reflection of the title. Fantasy seems to follow suit with Children of the Bone type covers. Are we running out of ideas?

1 Like

I totally buy books because the covers are pretty!

1 Like

I don’t, I usually read the synopsis when looking to by a book. Sometimes I’ll read the first few chapters to see if I would be interested in it. But having beautiful bookcover helps sometimes, and with the reading experience. I even think that having a minimalist bookcover works will too.

1 Like

Absolutely. If the colors and the cover catch my eye, I am more prone to purchase the book to read it.

1 Like

I’m always judging books by their covers…usually historical covers catch my attention

1 Like

Yes. I will often be drawn to a particular book with a beautiful cover design. The cover art is an important part of a book’s first impression.

2 Likes

Absolutely do. I think it’s an interesting concept. However, a good cover is the first thing that draws you in. There is a finished quality of books that instantly make my brain think “legitimate.” While self-published authors may be excellent, I can’t help but be turned off by some covers that look too “homemade.”

I love a book without a picture. I’d rather some great typography and artwork on a book cover.

1 Like