July 2023 Bookish Bingo šŸ¦‹

any book recs for this month? any genre works, just has to be pg-14

Thanks a lot for the recs, rundooksyrun, it turns out some of these are also published in July so they work for that prompt too. Thank you!

Any suggestions for books with Bisexual protagonist?

Does anyone have any good kindle unlimited recs

@emilyhiggins If you like romance, I loved Melanie Harlowā€™s Cloverleigh Farm series

1 Like

Hello - can someone elaborate what does birthday celebrated in July Bingo means? And any recs for the sameā€¦

@ monali I would think it means any book in which a character celebrates a birthday. I know Iā€™ve read some, but canā€™t think of any off the top of my head. If I remember one, Iā€™ll come back.

There is a party in Hello Stranger by Katherine Center, but I canā€™t remember if it was a birthday party or not. If anyone has read that one, maybe they can confirm.

@kristiew - thanks for responding. I will figure out some books now :slightly_smiling_face:

Here are my recs for anyone who needs some! I tried to not make any repeats from those already recommended by others above, so apologies for duplicates! Hope these can help someone & also, if you have any recs for me based on some of my favorites below, please share!

Contemporary/Historical Fiction:

• The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (WWII in France)
  • The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (homelessness)
  • Anxious People by Fredrik Bachman (bank robbery gone wrong)
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (deals with cancer, be prepared to ugly cry)
  • Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (time travel fun)
  • The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (cute & funny Aspergerā€™s Syndrome love story)
  • Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (the lifestyles of the rich)

Non-fiction:

• Stiff by Mary Roach (what happens to your body if you donate it to science?)
  • First Bite by Bee Wilson (how we learn to eat)
  • Come As You Are by Emily Nagoski (orgasms)
  • Mythos by Stephen Fry (Greek Myths reimagined)
  • The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van der Kolk (can be dry, but super relevant for those dealing with trauma)

Sci-Fi:

• The Martian OR Project Hail Mary OR Artemis by Andy Wier (snarky humor in space)
  • Red Rising series by Pierce Brown (dark sci-fi)
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison (dark post apocalypse story)
  • Scythe series by Neal Shusterman (dystopian)
  • The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey (zombies)
  • Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton (zombies, but POVs are domestic animals)
  • The Flight of the Silvers by Daniel Price (super heroes alt reality)

Fantasy:

• The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie (dark, gritty fantasy)
  • Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance (time travel, paranormal, action-filled romance)
  • Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs (urban fantasy with werewolves, vamps, & fae)
  • Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron (fun urban fantasy with dragons)
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (young boy raised by ghosts)
  • The House on the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune (kids with powers)
  • The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater (kelpies, YA)
  • Lost Boy by Christina Henry (dark Peter Pan retelling, YA)

Romance:

• Knitting in the City series or the Winston Brothers series by Penny Reid (contemporary)
  • People We Meet on Vacation, Beach Read, or Book Lovers by Emily Henry (contemporary)
  • Cheat Sheet or When in Rome by Sarah Adams (contemporary)
  • The Hathaways or the Ravenels series by Lisa Kleypas (historical)
  • The Girl Meets Duke series by Tessa Dare (historical)
  • Well Met by Jen DeLuca (Renaissance Faire love)
  • The Tourist Attraction (cute, clean Alaskan love story)
  • Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe (Hades x Persephone retelling, graphic novel)

Mystery/Thriller/Horror:

• Finlay Donovan is Killing It by Elle Cosimano (cozy & funny, like Stephanie Plum, but better)
  • Good Girlā€™s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson (murder mystery in an interesting format, YA)
  • IQ by Joe Ide (Sherlock Holmes in the ghetto)
  • The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen (psychological thriller)
  • Bullet Train by Isaka Kotoro (dark thriller)
  • Bird Box by Josh Malerman (horror)
  • FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven (carnival horror)
2 Likes

Anyone have a recommendation for books that take place in North Carolina? Iā€™ve been searching online and am struggling.

Pretty much everything by Nicholas Sparks is set in North Carolina

2 Likes

Suggestions for Theme of Friendship?

I think Iā€™m going to finally pick up tomorrow x3 this month. Thanks for the rec!

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein was excellent. There is also Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It is middle grade, but I am an older adult and I loved it. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares are about friendship as well. I think the Harry Potter books would fit well too.

Iā€™m not sure what your favored genres are, but A House with Good Bones by T. Kingfisher is set in North Carolina. I think itā€™s a gothic-horror-fantasy. Also, Iā€™m pretty sure Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, Book Lovers by Emily Henry, and Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain are all set in NC.

Any good books with fireworks on the cover?

Also, if youā€™re looking for a North Carolina book, I just finished The Only Survivors by Megan Miranda. Also a mystery/thriller.

The True Love Experiment by Christina Lauren (adult romance) and Fireworks by Alice Lin (YA romance) are the only two I know of with fireworks on the cover. A quick peek through Google shows thereā€™s a few more with fireworks covers, and thereā€™s a short list on Goodreads for it, but theyā€™re mostly childrenā€™s books. Still, might be worth a look if these donā€™t appeal to you.

Thank you for the recommendations!

1 Like

Have you read the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld? A little of all of those!

1 Like

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants! Quick, easy, and fun!

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation!