May 2023 Bookish Bingo 🌼

What will you read in May? Work on your reading goals this month with a new round of Bookish Bingo!

Post a coffee & currently reading photo in the forum and check off a square on your board before you even start reading.

If you share a completed bingo in the comments below before June 1, you’ll receive 20 bonus points!

Click here to read the rules and download your Bookish bingo card below. Make sure you share your progress with us by using #BookishBingo on social media. Let us know what books you’re reading for each prompt below! When you get a bingo, shout it out here.

May BF '23 Bingo Board Forum

Have an idea for a future board? Share it here.

May Bookish Bingo prompts: Road trip, Trees on the cover, Title begins with M, Published in May, A paperback book, Five word title, Set in the '50s, Includes an epilogue, Bright colored cover, Author’s first name begins with M, Space opera, Character has powers, Free space, Title includes a job title, Read a book and watch its adaptation, Set in the Pacific Islands, Includes a party, Novella, Bought at an indie bookstore, Character is a spy, Share a coffee & current read pic in the forum, Read with a friend, Sticker on the cover, Asian author, Nonbinary protagonist.

6 Likes

The board for this month is so cute!!

5 Likes

What does “space opera” mean?

I’m with you, what does “space opera" mean?
My first thought was someone singing is space, then a rewrite of an Opera taking place in space, perhaps?

“Space Opera” is a subgenre of science fiction that features galactic wars, space travel, and adventure! Think Star Wars, Ender’s Game, The Expanse series, Stargate, etc!

4 Likes

I learn something new every day. Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for your help!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Don’t forget Battlestar Galactica! It was so impactful that the U.N. got together to talk about how good it was!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m excited to continue the Ender Game series now!

1 Like

I mean if you want a space opera that features a singing competition I recommend Space Opera
https://amzn.to/44hU8az

1 Like

“Sticker on the cover” :expressionless:

It is a classification under science fiction. I don’t know what really puts it in that slot. But definitely under sci fi. Lol when I started replying there were no replies. Guess my internet way laggy. But answers above more eloquent

I thought of the ones that are printed on to the book such as the “Oprah Book Club” sticker. Not like the ones that Barnes and Noble place in their books during their sales.

1 Like

I’m going to check that out. Sounds fun.

does sticker on the cover mean stickers as part of the design, or just the annoying sticker stores put on?

2 Likes

Share a coffee and current read- done with Saddled with Murder by Eileen Brady

Includes a party- Murder on an Irish Farm by Carlene O’Connor

Free- Buried in a Good Book by Tamara Berry

Bright colored cover- Strawberries and Crime by Elle Brooke White

Paperback book- Ashes to Ashes, Crust to Crust by Mindy Quigley

2 Likes

Could the books in the Ice Planet Barbarians series count as a space opera?

I used a library book with a barcode sticker on the front for that one

1 Like

From Wikipedia - " Space opera is a subgenre of fantasy or science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, with use of melodramatic, risk-taking space adventures, relationships, and chivalric romance. Set mainly or entirely in outer space, it features technological and social advancements (or lack thereof) in faster-than-light travel, futuristic weapons, and sophisticated technology, on a backdrop of galactic empires and interstellar wars with fictional aliens, often in fictional galaxies.

… Space opera has been defined as “a television or radio drama or motion picture that is a science-fiction adventure story”.[8] Some critics distinguish between space opera and planetary romance.[9] Both feature adventures in exotic settings, but space opera emphasizes space travel, while planetary romances focus on alien worlds."

I think a space opera is more focused on the travel, wars, etc than a romance, but I am certainly not an expert on the subject. Bookish seems to pretty lenient with their rules, so I think that if you think it fits, then it fits.

1 Like