Recommendations for July Board

That’s a good list.

Have you read The Witch of Blackbird Pond? That’s my favorite of the children’s classics genre. Bridge to Terabithia is also wonderful. Adult classics: Ragtime by E. L. Doctorow is really great.

1 Like

Yes! Fatal Throne takes the perspective of the wives of Henry Viii

1 Like

I highly recommend the following books:
*Where the Crawdads Sing
*The Diviners series
*The Beautiful series
*Well Met
*The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
*Fatal Throne
*The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
*Tweet Cute
*Red, White, and Royal Blue
*The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper
*Get a Life, Chloe Brown
*Bringing Down the Duke
*The Broken Girls
*The Sun Down Motel
*Nothing to See Here
*The Vanishing Half
*The Last Time I Lied
*The Lies We Told
*No Exit
*Truth Be Told
*A Knight in Shining Armor
*A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder
*Sex, Murder, & a Double Latte
*Then She Was Gone
*The Whisper Man

2 Likes

I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond way back in 7th grade! I remember loving it. I have never read Bridge to Terabithia or Ragtime before!

I love classics! I recently finished Tess of the D’Ubervilles and really enjoyed it! It gets a little wordy when setting a scene, but that’s typical of books from that time period I think.

Classics:
Frankenstein
Wuthering Heights
To Kill. a Mockingburd
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Ivanhoe

Here are some books I loved that seem to fly under the radar but are excellent:
The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
The Voice in My Head by Dana L. Davis
The Sea Witch by Sarah Henning

This is a great list! So many good books on here!

If anyone hasn’t read Grady Hendrix The Southern Book Clubs Guide to Slaying Vampires… I admit I judged it but people kept saying read it. I finally did and loved it.

@cstrong555 Do you know the podcast CraftLit? They talk a bit about knitting and weaving and life stuff, but mostly it’s guided reading of classics (using public domain readings and readings specifically recorded for the podcast), and since I enjoy listening to the crafty bits, too, it’s really fun. They’ve done Pride & Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables, and I just listened to A Tale of Two Cities with them (which they did in 2007). They recently started The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Charlotte Bronte, but I haven’t started that one yet. I’m not sure I would’ve made it through A Tale of Two Cities without the podcast though.

Phillippa Gregory’s books are great (I swear, when I read The Other Boleyn Girl, I woke up surprised I wasn’t waking as a member of Henry VIII’s court), and I know Georgette Hyer is a popular writer in that genre as well (I have her on my shelf but not read her).

I finished The Gown by Jennifer Robison last month, which was a delightful romp in London following WWII and the embroiderers who worked on Elizabeth II’s wedding gown.

I’m reading Hild right now by Nicola Griffith. It’s a bit more dense than romance–lots of research went into this book, and it’s full of dark ages political intrigue. It took me a little bit to get into it (there’s a helpful glossary in the back and now that I’m 100 pages from the end, I’ve realized the author’s notes end with a pronunciation guide.) I’m really enjoying it, even though I feel a bit lost a lot (which I think is intentional). One of the reviewers said it struck the same chords as Arthurian legends, LotR and Game of Thrones, and though I haven’t read GoT, I have to concur based on what I’ve gleaned about GoT.

1 Like

Katherine Arden’s Winternight trilogy (The Bear & the Nightingale is the first one) is on my favorites list–I keep checking it out from the library to reread, and I’m hoping they’ll release pretty boxed set, like the ones that have been released in other languages, because I really want to buy it.

Norse Mythology was particularly fun as an audiobook–Neil reads it himself. :slight_smile:

If you are looking for a great YA fantasy/sci-fi read:

Starward by Brandon Sanderson
A Darker Shade of Magic series of V.E. Schwab
Truthwitch by Susan Dennard (The Witchlands series)
Once & Future by Amy Cappetta and Cori McCarthy
Fireborne by Rosaria Munda
Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust

Looking for recommendations for books set in Japan and books set in space. Preferably in the YA or LGBTQ genres. Any suggestions?

Krista & Becca Ritchie who usually write NA romance have a YA sci-fi duet. The Raging Ones and The Last Hope. They are long reads, but good and different. There is also a main LGBTQ+ couple pairing.

1 Like

I personally haven’t read it yet, but I’ve heard really good things about “My Brother’s Husband” it’s a 2 volume graphic novel story that deals with a man whose twin died and he is meeting his husband for the first time.
I’m reading Memoirs of a Geisha for my prompt of a book set in Japan.

1 Like