Friday Question #89 What's Scarier? Books or Movies?

Yay, it’s Friday!

What scares you more? Reading a scary book or watching a scary movie?

2 Likes

Movies are scarier, because it adds the music and lighting which you don’t get with a book. But, I will have to admit, sometimes (rarely) the movie is better than the book. I always try and read the book first before watching the movie.

4 Likes

Movies - I think visually seeing the scary parts of a book cause more fear in me.

3 Likes

Movies are scarier. Books take longer to read so things are spread out. In the movie, it all happens quickly, with scary music adding to it. I love to read horror novels, but I hate to watch the movies. Lol

3 Likes

I think I’m too desensitized for movies to scare me even with special effects, so I’ll have to say books because I have a vivid imagination and can picture the scenery. I love a good scary book.

1 Like

Movies scare me more because my eyes don’t have to picture what is going on they can see the images, hear the music, and also hear what they are saying. With books I have to picture in my mind what to see, and how to imagine what might be going on.

1 Like

Movies for sure. It’s that scary music gets me everytime. I am usually leaving the room by then, lol.
Books you can Skip The Page…,

1 Like

For me it’s definitely movies. Seeing the actors experiencing situations along with the soundtrack really adds to the feeling.

1 Like

Movies. With books, I can choose to imagine a scene completely or register it as minimally as possible. With movies, those choices are all made for me. I hate seeing violence (throat slitting is particularly horrible) or gore, but I can read those scenes all day long without flinching. Did you ever read The Gargoyle? I loved that book, but so many readers couldn’t get past the first scene, in which a man is horribly burned in a car accident.

1 Like

Movies are scarier for me because of the jump factor and music. When I read scary books, the movie playing in my head doesn’t have a sound track LOL.

1 Like

definitely the movie…because of the sound effects and the ability to have a something seem to jump out at me

1 Like

Books are scarier because of the way I imagine the scenery in my head. Scary movies make me laugh because they don’t seem real.

1 Like

That’s a tough one…the visibility of the fear is good and gives me the generality of the scare itself, but the book is how my mind perceives to view the scare…I guess it depends on the way the director would portray so this for me could go both ways depending.

Books- my imagination can be so much worse!

1 Like