Books to Screen: Which was better?

So we all know that the “book is always better” right? But what about those rare instances where you liked the movie or show adaptation more than the book?

For me, I liked Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan, but I LOVED the movie.
Kevin Kwan is a talented writer - I loved Sex and Vanity - but he uses a lot of luxury designers as descriptors. And unless you’re familiar with shoes from Sapori di Capri, and have seen a custom half-a-mil jewelry piece by Mouawad, it’s not as exciting. Simply put- fashion is more fun to watch than to read about.

I also really enjoyed Daisy Jones and the Six. I can’t say for certain that I liked the show MORE than the book, but I can say that I loved each of them in their own way- separately. While the book had me from page one, the show was so immersive and the casting was chef’s kiss perfect!

1 Like

I think about this often.

The only time I liked the movie MORE than the book was for Whip It! The book was so shallow, and the movie had so much more action and character depth.

2 Likes

There’s a Whip It! book?! I love the movie; how did I not know?! :rofl:

The Daisy Jones film adaptation was perfect. Two “oldies” that for sure were better as film adaptation than the book were No Country for Old Men and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

3 Likes

I have a list on goodreads! A lot of them I liked both but I did prefer the screen version.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I love The Princess Bride movie so much; I forget that there’s a book!

2 Likes

I couldn’t really get into the Bridgerton books to finish past the second book, but I loved the adaptation.

4 Likes

Big Little Lies - both the book and the TV series were great!!

1 Like

Ooo, I didn’t read the book, but I loved the show!

3 Likes

The Netflix adaptation of Daisy Jones and The Six was perfectly cast; it was also true to the story line. I think people who read the book first will have enjoyed the show a little bit more.

3 Likes

I thought the movie “Forrest Gump” was far, far better than the book. I am amazed to think how they managed to get the great story they did from such a poorly written book!

3 Likes

This is definitely another example of how much, much better the movie was than the book. I was totally overwhelmed by the difference.

3 Likes

I really liked the books but I LOVED the adaptations.

Stephen King’s book “The Mist”, was a far better movie than the book. The movie changed the ending that I thought was a perfect ending for a Stephen King type of book.

2 Likes

I didn’t read the book, but I binged the TV show! It was so good.

1 Like

I absolutely loved the show! But I also love Taylor Jenkins Reid’s writing style. I know other people aren’t huge on the “interview” way of telling a story.

I would have to say absolutely The Princess Bride and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Also, maybe Jurassic Park and Jaws. I thought both books were really good, but the movies were so well done.

I have yet to read Crazy Rich Asians, but I really enjoyed the movie and I’ve heard from others that the book wasn’t quite as good too.

2 Likes