February 2023 Bookish Bingo đź’Ś

Are you ready to tackle your TBR pile this month? Join us in February and conquer your TBR!

Follow BookishFirst on Instagram and check off a square on your board before you even start reading.

If you share a completed bingo in the comments below before March 1, you’ll receive 20 bonus points!

Click here to read the rules and download your Bookish bingo card below. Make sure you share your progress with us by using #BookishBingo on social media. Let us know what books you’re reading for each prompt below! When you get a bingo, shout it out here.

February BF '23 Bingo Board Forum

Have an idea for a future board? Share it here.

February Bookish Bingo Prompts: Published in February, Two word title, Second in a series, Audiobook with two narrators, Romance by a Black author, Author uses initials, Under 280 pages, Retelling, Title begins with F, Purple cover, Part of a series about friends, Two women on the cover, free space, Pet owner, Characters make a bargain, Short story, Title written in cursive, Published in the 2000s, Red or pink cover, Set in New Orleans, Follow BookishFirst on Instagram, Football, Heart on the cover, Title begins with L, Visit your local library

4 Likes

I 100% know I can google this, but wanted to ask here.
Recs for romance book by a black author? Preferably paranormal? I have gotten into the habit of just going to “more like this” and never pay attention to author pictures. Apparently I’m in an author rut and am in great need to branch out.

Thanks for any ideas!

I just read The Love Con and it was so stinking cute if you are into the “pretend we’re dating-to-actually-start-dating” trope. The lead is a bigger black girl in a reality show contest for cosplay costume makers and the editing of the show is unfairly trying to cast her as an angry black woman which she definitely isn’t. This one caught my attention since it was on the “recommended by the staff” table at my local library and the cover is cute :slight_smile:

If I have time this month, I’m planning on listening to Games Women Play since my husband bought it on my audible account. He went to a writer’s convention and it was a book that was suggested in a genre he doesn’t normally read. The author is a guy and since I feel like all the romance books I’ve read have been written by females, I’m interested to see if this reads differently or not!

1 Like

Thank you! My husband was looking and reminded me of some authors I previously read aren’t in the same box as my normal ones. A male romance author sounds like a good change of pace too! Thank you!!! Love when I need to look to get out of my comfort reads and find other awesome things!

Magic Dark Magic Divine by AJ Locke

1 Like

I swear I wanna get one of these Bingo cards done this month! I always mean to!

2 Likes

My problem is that I read one block and then I put a book in it and then realize that it would been better suited for another block.:confused:

2 Likes

Lol. I can’t even count the number of times I move books around when I’m planning out what I’m going to read for the month. And even then, I will sometimes move them around after I’ve started reading, or replace a planned book with another one.

4 Likes

Just over 1 week into the month, and I’m off to a good start! I’m still not sure what to read for “Set in New Orleans” yet, though, so if you have any Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Middle Grade, or Young Adult novels that you recommend for that square, please send them my way!

*And for those of you who wonder why my checkmark is “backwards” … I’m left-handed and I’ve always written my checkmarks that way.

1 Like

My plan for the New Orleans square is Interview with the Vampire. I haven’t got to it yet though myself, so I can’t say whether I think it’s a good choice or not yet.

Two bingos for me already!!! Woohoo!!!

2 Likes

Published in February: Wined and Died in New Orleans by Ellen Byron

Under 280 pages: Christmas Scarf Murder by Carlene O’Connor

Free: Alll Fudged Up by Nancy Coco

Read or pink cover: Six Sweets Under by Sarah Fox

Visit local library: did and checked out The Radium Girls by Kate Moore

2 Likes

I’m pretty close to a couple of bingos which is good!
Hoping to get through the following books to fill some of the other spots:
Published in February - Big Swiss by Jen Beagin
Romance by a Black Author - Eternally Yours by Patrice Caldwell or Nothing Burns as Bright as You by Ashley Woodfolk
Two Word Title - Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe
Title Begins with F - For Lamb by Lesa Cline-Ransome
Author uses initials - Breaking the Ice by K. R. Collins or The Drowning Summer by C. L. Herman

One week later, and I’ve got 5 bingos already! I’ve really enjoyed the books I’ve read so far, and I’m looking forward to the others I have planned for this card. Now on to the last 5…
*Note: for those of you who look and have trouble finding the heart on the cover of The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue, there are a few playing cards peeking out from behind Monty on his left side. One of them is in the suit of hearts.I even double-checked just to make sure.

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

First double bingo!
Published in February: Nightbirds by Kate J Armstrong
Author uses initials: Amari and the Night Brothers by B. B. Alston
Part of a series about friends: The Girl Who Raced Fairyland All the Way Home by Catherynne M. Valente
Short Story: The Girl Who Ruled Fairyland For a Little While by Catherynne M. Valente
Follow BookishFirst on IG: done
Under 280 Pages: Even Though I Knew the End by C.L. Polk
Free Space: A Little Devil in America by Hanif Abdurraqib
Red or pink cover: The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin
Visit your local library: done

1 Like

I got my first bingo but I might have to move some squares around since we got a few more days left. (Or I just might be lazy and leave as is lol)

1 Like

published in Feb: Age of Light - Whitney Scharer (pub Feb 2019)
under 280 pages: Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Robert O’Brien
free space
red or pink cover: The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
visit your local library: done! (book: Good Company - Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney)

1 Like