Friday Question #118 - Teacher Appreciation Week

It’s Teacher Appreciation Week! Teachers can help us find a love of reading and introduce us to our favorite reads.

What’s your favorite book that you remember reading with a class (in any grade) or that was recommended to you by a favorite teacher?

I can’t remember a book recommended by a favorite teacher, but a student of mine, after we read Go Ask Alice as a class, told me that that book got her into reading and that it was the first novel she actually ever read from beginning to end. Now she reads a bunch!

2 Likes

I don’t remember a specfic book but I remember loving writing all the book reports assigned over the years in school.

1 Like

Anne of Green Gables was always a favorite of mine that a teacher recommended.

1 Like

I always loved to read. My favorite read aloud though that I remember was James and the Giant Peach that my 5th grade teacher read to us. As a teacher, I’ve learned to love lots of YA novels!!

1 Like

Beloved by Toni Morrison, in a high school English class. (I read it again a few years later in a college class.) What a powerful story.

1 Like

Over the past few years, my 3rd graders have enjoyed “The One And Only Ivan”.

1 Like

Roald Dahl and Louis Sacher books were the students favorites when I read to them as a teacher. I do not remember and good books recommended by my teachers.

1 Like

I can’t quite point out a single book, but I did have teachers that told me to keep reading and keep doing what I love.
I now try and share this love and passion with my own students.

1 Like

My favorite teacher was my 3rd/4th/5th grade teacher. I was lucky to stay with her for three years. She read to us and had us read out loud and individually frequently. I probably read every book in her classroom library.

I remember: Bunnicula, Wayside Stories from Wayside School, The Indian in the Cupboard, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James & the Giant Peach, and many more.

1 Like