Friday Question #141 - Recommend A Book From an Indigenous Author!

Happy Friday, Readers!

November is Native American Heritage Month! :books: Recommend a book written by an Indigenous author that other readers should check out.

There There by Tommy Orange
Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley - which I believe was on BookishFirst
I have not personally read them.

2 Likes

Haven’t read it yet, but it’s on my TBR - White Horse by Erika T. Wurth (which was a BOTM pick this month)

1 Like

Darcie Little Badger has some good ones, I liked Elatsoe and A Snake Falls to Earth.

2 Likes

I’m almost finished with Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. She is a biologist by livelihood, but views everything through the lens of her Potawatomi upbringing…and other tribes she’s interacted with and gained wisdom from through her years. A friend of mine who I’ll describe under a general field biologist term suggested it to me a while back and thought this was a good time to read it. I’m enjoying it, except for her view on ducks. :duck:

2 Likes

I don’t have anything in my TBR pile right now, but I do love the First North Americans, North America’s Forgotten Past and The Battle for America series by Michael Gear and Kathleen O’Neal Gear. I especially like the First North Americans, as they are all standalone novels. (and at last count, I think there are 29 of them! “People of the Mist” is my favorite!

Five little Indians by Michelle Good was an excellent recent read.

1 Like

The Way to Rainy Mountain by N Scott Momaday