Friday Question #191 - Books To Read Before 2024

Happy December!

What books do you want to read before 2024?

1 Like

Too many to squeeze into one month :sob:

3 Likes

I’m in the middle of A Conjuring of Light, Starling House, and The Scarlet Alchemist, so definitely want to finish all of those…but yeah, there’s definitely a whole lot more of the TBR I wish I could’ve gotten through this year!!

2 Likes

I have too many books to list but my top three that I want to finish before 2024 are The Silent Patient, A Study in Drowning, and The Goodbye Cat.

2 Likes

I love The Scarlet Alchemist so much! It’s in my top ten books I read this year, for sure. I hope you are enjoying it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Honestly same. I’m going for a blackout of the Bookish Bingo this month, so. . . I feel you!

2 Likes

I have a huge stack including Warrior Girl Unearthed,

AFTER ANNIE, Anna Quindlen. Just started reading ARC.

Geez, too many.

I’m currently reading Descending Twilight. I’ve had this book for 16 years, a memento from the last family vacation before my sister passed away. It’s a self-published novel that was sold in the campground resort gift shop, written by a staff member of the resort we used to go to. I remember buying it, and the cashier told me I should go have him sign it at the welcome center guard booth. He was so grateful, he even signed it with a really beautiful message.

Despite keeping this book with me through numerous moves and all of life’s rollercoaster, I only ever read the first chapter of it before. Well, until this week.

I was looking up the author right before I read it this month. I discovered that he passed away in October. His viewing was actually on my birthday, which is ironic. But there are no reviews of his book anywhere online! Not Amazon. Not Goodreads. Nothing. I keep thinking he died thinking no one ever read it. So I’m going to write him a new review, just so his family can go there and see that his book did make a difference.

It’s not exactly a literary masterpiece though. To be frank, the book itself is… hilariously bad. Clunky dialogue that just monologues for pages, facts about a career field I’m actually in that he did NOT research at all (saying that a psychologist can’t make a therapist because they’re not a psychiatrist, like what?), writing the same thing in the narration that he just wrote in the dialogue. It’s like The Room of books, Oh hi Mark! lol… mixed with some Da Vinci Code.

It’s got a lot of heart though, stuffed in all 417 pages of it and it’s a really fast read for all it’s poor writing and a sweet message. And I’m just kind of upset with myself for not reading it sooner and not writing him a review. I almost feel like he wrote the thing just for me, since no one else seems to have read it. Reading it now is an odd experience, but despite its flaws, it’s been a quick and strangely touching read.

trying to finish up Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea, and just started Lightlark.

Haven’t decided what I’ll read next, but will try to start at least one of these this month: A River Enchanted, Ruthless Vows, Crown of Midnight

My plans may be out of my reach :slight_smile:

Bookshops and Bonedust is one of my must-reads for December! My library hold just came in!

2 Likes

I’m currently reading The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl to finish out the Athena Club series, and listening to Hercule Poirot’s Christmas. Once I finish those, I’ll go back and finish Wil Wheaton’s Still Just a Geek on audio and read Blood of Olympus to finish out the Heroes of Olympus series and the year!

Yeah, there were a few more that I wanted to prioritize, but there’s only so much time in a day/week/month!

1 Like

I still have too many, but definitely want to read Her Sister’s Death by K.L. Murphy, Etched in Sand by Regina Calcaterra, and People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry to finish up challenges. I also received an early copy of The Women by Kristin Hannah that I really want to finish this month.

1 Like