Friday Question #21: What are your favorite book adaptations?

Happy Friday, BookishFirst Readers!

While social distancing our team have been seeking comfort in books, TV shows, and movies. We’re definitely in need of some book adaptation recommendations to watch.

What are your favorite book adaptations?

3 Likes

Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are great movies, though a lot of people have seen them. I would also recommend The Hunger Games, Still Star Crossed, and Anne of Green Gables (the original version).

I really enjoyed To All The Boys, and Ready Player One.

Flowers for Algernon, The Samurai Trilogy (film adaptation of Musashi,) The Color Purple, Angels and Demons, The Greatest Game Ever Played, just to name a few.

On Netflix, you can ask them to pull up movies based on books. There are SO many!!

2 Likes

I really loved Lev Grossman’s The Magicians trilogy. The show on SyFy just ended after 5 seasons, and season 1-4 is on Netflix. Not surprising, the show wasn’t as close to the book as I’d like, but I still found each medium exceptionally enjoyable.
Also loved 1992 Bram Stoker’s Dracula. I thought the movie was really close to the book’s story line, but oh man if they weren’t two different beasts, haha

I’m going to go with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Disney. It’s been the closest adaptation to the material. Same goes for The Three Musketeers / The Four Musketeers. (This however is two separate films but they were filmed at the same time.)

The Painted Veil, Princess Bride, Interview with the Vampire, True Grit (2000’s version), Matilda, Gone Girl … some of these done well by just having author writing the screenplay themselves. Others have small changes but nothing that detracts from the overall plot.

There are a couple more that come to mind but off the top of my head those have been excellent and unmentioned.

I just saw Autumn de Wilde’s adaptation of Emma, which is utterly delightful! Anna Taylor-Joy is a treasure. Emma is not even within my top 3 Austen novels, but the 2020 film has easily become my favorite Austen adaptation.

Love, Simon is one of my favorites.

I guess, to an extent, the Twilight franchise is another one because, while the movies weren’t great and the wigs a hot mess, they served as a way for me to kind of “bond” with like-minded people who thought the same and it gave us endless conversations about everything, from the actors to the locations to the scripts, whatever. I have yet to watch Breaking Dawn Pt. 2 though because that came out around the time of Kristen Stewart’s big scandal, and I basically boycotted the final movie lol.

The Princess Bride. I have read the book twice and love the adaptation.

Anne of Green Gables and Avonlea with Megan Follows. And I really love the Keira Knightly/Matthew Macfadyen version of Pride and Prejudice.

Have you seen Matthew Macfadyen in HBO’s Succession? It’s such a great show, almost Shakespearean, and it took me a while to recognize that Tom is also Mr. Darcy!

I haven’t that one—I’ll have to check it out! I did love him in Ripper Street, though he’ll always be Mr. Darcy to me :joy:

The one called Virgin River based on a Robin Carr book is good!

An oldie, Clavell’s Shogun. Also love the Keira Knightly Pride and Prejudice.

The Princess Bride, without question, I’ve loved that movie since the first time I saw it. I didn’t read the book until many years later but it was such a good adaptation, so many movies/tv shows don’t do a book justice but this one did.