Friday Question #23: Do you enjoy reading retellings?

Happy Friday, BookishFirst Readers!

Do you enjoy reading retellings of fairy tales or other literary works?

This Friday Question is inspired by this week’s raffle, where you can win a copy of Jo & Laurie by Melissa De La Cruz and Margaret Stohl, which is a reimagining of the classic Little Women.

4 Likes

I usually do, but I like when they add their own twists. Seeing some key plot changes or switched character roles for example makes the retelling have its own life, too.

2 Likes

I do love a good retelling! I was happy to see Jo & Laurie up here. I love that cover!

1 Like

Not particularly. Sometimes things get butchered in the process. Just better to leave well enough alone.

2 Likes

My blog is named Obsessed With Fairy Tales, so yes I love retellings! :smiley: I just read Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik, which is a retelling of rumpelstiltskin.

1 Like

I’ve read very few, so that must mean I don’t enjoy them or I would be reading more of them.

I am particularly fond of retellings of Cinderella, but i love re-imagined tales of all kinds.

It’s fun to see what can come of re-telling classics in a different genre or time-place or something else that doesn’t leave well enough alone. It’s exciting.

Plus, there’s really nothing new under the sun. So why try to be original when you’re borrowing basically from everything else already done anyway.

I LOVE retellings, fairytale retelling especially are my jam! My favorite retellings are of Beauty and the Beast, with A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas & A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer being my absolute favorites! Christina Henry does really dark fairytale retellings too, with her “Alice” chronicles as my favorite. I really like “Villain origin stories” as well.

1 Like

Typically I do not. I know some authors tell a good story and write well but I find it just isn’t the same. It may be because when I read something I have an image of the characters, the settings, the cadence of the story in my mind. Therefore when someone else rewrites or adds on it is simply not the same. So therefore I tend to not read additions to a good novel or continuation of series by another author.

2 Likes

I love them! Fairytales are the best!

I’m a sucker for retellings!. That doesn’t mean I’ll automatically love it just because it’s a retelling. But I’ll absolutely read it.

I love re-tellings, have read a few, and have a few at home to read. Nothing better than to see an author put their own twist to a classic story.

Yes it refreshes the classics and makes me go back to reread to compare. Love them.

I do like retellings! Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite retellings. I feel like it’s a refresher of the classics and it’s always nice to read what the authors come up with.

I am a huge fan of Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. There are so many retellings of the story, or reimagining that I would love to read!

I do love retelling a from all the classics. I’m reading Anna K. right now and have read several. I’m really glad this has become such a popular new book release genre because it makes me go back and reread the original.

It should have a different story plot and characters than the original to make it better to read if it is a retelling

Yes some of the retellings are very cute

I do love retellings, especially when the story is told from the point of view of a different character or a detail changes in the book which ends up setting the characters on a different course than the original plot. A retelling can be just as imaginative as an original story, in my opinion!

Yes! I absolutely adored Jo & Laurie and so did my aunt who read it after me. I appreciate more retellings.