Friday Question #49: What is your favorite read of 2020?

Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi was a BIG eye opener for me this year. I learned so much that was never taught in school.

1 Like

My absolute favorite book this year was What’s Left of Me Is Yours by Stephanie Scott. It is poetic, completely mesmerizing, and such an interesting story. Go read it!

2 Likes

Couldn’t choose just one. Some of my 2020 favorites were His & Hers by Alice Feeney (listened to the audiobook – made a huge difference in the experience!), The Burning Girls by C. J. Tudor, and The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by V. E. Schwab.

1 Like

I need a Cliff’s Notes Guide to The Other People. I loved it (anything by C. J. Tudor :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) but I don’t think I was smart enough for this book.

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo!

1 Like

The best book I read this year was ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL by James Herriot. I realize it was written in the 1970s, but I just got around to it. Now I wonder what took me so long.

1 Like

How to choose!? Favorite non-fiction was Know My Name by Chanel Miller though topic was difficult. If I had to pick one fiction book, I feel like The Vanishing Half, intended as historical fiction, was so of the moment and showed us how far we have to go.

1 Like

American Dirt is the book that really stuck with me this year and gave me a different perspective on the plight of immigrants. I highly recommend it.

The 2020 read that pops up as the most memorable in my head is Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. A fantastically atmospheric book to read during Autumn to get in the spirit. For nonfiction, You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters by Kate Murphy was a thought provoker for me. Really made me think and take notice. Also, heading into spooky territory again is The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James. All great reads this year!

1 Like

“A Discovery of Witches” by Deborah Harkness

1 Like

I would say the best book I have read this year is The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel.

1 Like

I really enjoyed The Night Swim by Megan Goldin. It is the first book that comes to mind after reading so many this year, I loved the podcast type book and true crime story line was fantastic.

1 Like

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean it’s an amazing historical romance

1 Like

It’s a tough question, but The Hollow Places is probably the top. I also loved Sad Janet.

Favorite was The Stationary Shop by Marjan Kamali

1 Like

I honestly can’t choose.

Randomly I’ll go with THE GIRL FROM THE CHANNEL ISLANDS by Jenny LeCoat.