Friday Question #5: What are your 2019 reading regrets?

Happy Friday BookishFirst Readers!!

2019 is coming to a close! There are always way more books on our TBR than there is time to read them. What books did you not get the chance to read this year and want to make a priority in 2020?

2 Likes

Here is my list of Book of the Month books I want to read next year!

1 Like

I’m always saying I will stick to favorite authors first and then break the rules and go off the path, meaning I don’t get to the ones I should first. I do try to vary my books but sometimes comfy is good. I buy some books and then let them sit as I see other titles at the library or in promos from publishers. I promise myself to read what I own first but somehow never do it. Anyone else that way?

2 Likes

Finale by Stephanie Garber​:sob::sob:. I absolutely love the Caraval trilogy and don’t want it to end! I have both the US and UK signed versions and keep procrastinating reading it.

3 Likes

A Gentleman In Moscow
Ask Again, Yes
A Woman is No Man
The Last Romantics

And the worst thing is that all of these books are on my shelf, so I have no excuses!

Pfft. I feel like I only read a handful of books this year because, apparently, I fell into a damn near year-long slump that I’m just now starting to get out of. I’ve read some here and there, but nowhere near as much as I would’ve liked.

The biggest reading regrets I have this year, though, is that I didn’t get to all the backlist review copies that I have that I had planned on reading this year. Both on my Kindle and physically.

2 Likes

I can’t really say I have any “regrets” because I read 150 books this year and always make a priority for those “must read” books (which I often pre-order). But A Treason of Thorns is on my winter TBR and I’ll read that one soon.

This year I joined NetGalley. In 2020, I really need to learn to pace myself with my requests! So many books but so little time!!

6 Likes

I hated A Gentleman in Moscow! I’m still boggled that it received good reviews at all. But to each their own! My entire book club hated it as well. We read it back in September.

Ask Again, Yes was really good!

1 Like

LOL! Oh NetGalley…I hear ya! My TBR on NetGalley alone is 3 pages deep and growing. I just need to stop looking at the book available and stick to reading what I already have.

5 Likes

All my NetGalley titles :joy: I got a little click happy and didn’t anticipate being approved for so many at once!

5 Likes

I definitely need to finally finish The Silent Patient. I’m a little bit in and it’s good, but I keep getting distracted by other shiny books…

2 Likes

As someone who is blessed with unlimited arcs and dcs (thanks to generous publishers) I have to learn that I can’t read a book a day. It is a hard lesson to learn because as you said - so many books and so little time!

3 Likes

I set a goal for myself,250 books to be read for 2019,started in Jan. Then it was getting November not getting close so I changed it to 200 bioks! I made it yesterday,200 books! Very proud of myself with 15 days to go. I made sure I read from beginning to end,no cheating cause then I’m only cheating myself. So,come Jan. my goal will be 300. That sure sounds like a lot,maybe I will do 250 and then see where I am before I increase them. Anything I finish before the 31st,stays on 2019. I have so many and not enough time,she I sure hope they have books in heaven but I’m betting the only Book they have will be the Bible,but that’s ok too,thats my one time favorite and I am 63 years old and still discovering new things in there I still have not read. Merry Christmas,Happy New Year and May God Bless and Bless us everywhere in the world and God Bless America we really need it now.

1 Like

Yep, I tried having a book buying ban, but I’m strong enough for that and my will is weak.

1 Like

250 books! I have 50 books as my goal since the beginning of the year, and sometimes I feel like that number is a struggle.

I really need to read off my own shelf! I get so many books (either physical or ebook) and instead of reading them right away I sit them down and then go get more! I need to read what I have!!

Every single year I say I won’t re-read any books and stick to those on my TBR list, book group selections, and review copies along with new releases I want to read. I do a good job with the book group selections but invariably read a new release or review copy that disappoints me in some way and turn to a favorite book or series by a favorite author and I’m “down the rabbit hole” of re-reading pleasure.

I regret nothing!

1 Like

Not reading enough Youth and Juvenile fiction