Friday Question #58: What are your favorite underrated reads?

Happy Friday, BookishFirst Readers!

This week we want to know: what are some of your favorite underrated reads? And by underrated, we mean books not as many people have read or heard about.

1 Like

The Box by Victoria M. Patton
The Hollow Gods by A.J. Vrana

Valor by John Gwynne

So many! Ones to come to mind: In a Day’s Work by Bernice Yeung, We Ride Upon Sticks by Quan Barry, the Animators by Kayla Rae Whitaker, Amity and Prosperity by Eliza Griswold, How to Survive a Plague by David France, The Coyotes of Carthage by Steven Wright

Sloane Tanen’s books - Bitter with Baggage Seeks Same, Hatched, etc. I bought her books about 12 years ago for my baby niece at the time. I laughed so hard I bought myself a set .My niece loved her books.
She uses those cheap (I so want to write CHEEP) yellow chicken pom pom toys and sets them in settings.

The Reckless Oath We Made by Bryn Greenwood. Everyone seems to have heard of her other book, All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, but this one flies under the radar.

The Migration by Helen Marshall. Phenomenal apocalyptic/dystopian novel. I think the problem with this one is that it was marketed to adults when it would’ve been much more successful with the young adult crowd!

1 Like

Ill Will by Dan Chaon is AMAZING. I think a lot of people didn’t really like the writing style but I highly recommend it. I couldn’t put it down!

I’m looking forward to reading that! I really liked All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, so I have high hopes.

THE CURRENT By Tim Johnston, DEFECTORS By Joseph Kanon, IN WILDERNESS by Diane Thomas, ONE MORE RIVER By Mary Glickman,

Death by Social Suicide series by Karen Anne. And The Beantown Girls by Jane Healey

The Woman Before Wallis: A Novel of Windsors, Vanderbilts, and Royal Scandal by Bryn
Turnbull (historical fiction)
The First Actress: A Novel of Sarah Bernhardt by C. W. Gortner (historical fiction
That Old Dead Magic (#12 in the Rat Pack Mystery Series) by Robert J. Randisi (mystery)
Gobbledy by Lis Anna-Langston (Grade 8-11)
The Wrong Family by Tarryn Fisher (domestic thriller)
When Harry Met Minnie: A True Story of Love and Friendship by Martha Teichner (nonfiction)
Blood Alley by Tom Coffey (1940s noir)

The Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King. She writes great mystery with humor and intrigue in every chapter.