Reading Regrets of 2019?

Lol. I’m in way over my head as well. We all love books and reading so much and there’s unlimited options available to read. It’s impossible to not get in over your head! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I didnt request anything over at Edelweiss… yet haha as I have to figure out how to navigate the site first.

2 Likes

Oh my :scream::face_with_hand_over_mouth: I loved that book! Lol. I can see how the set up wouldn’t be to everyone’s liking though. Also, the characters weren’t very endearing. But it was my favorite book.

2 Likes

I hate to say it but Once Upon a River was kind of tedious for me. So full of fluff. There was still a story in there I wanted to see though but I could not finish. Also, The Paper Wasp is like the worst book I’ve read this year. I guess the most disappointing book that I read, which I really wanted to love and everyone seemed so hyped about it, was Little Darlings. It was nothing like I expected but not in a good way.

2 Likes

Same. Edelweiss is such a weird setup! I don’t know why they had to make their site so difficult. Whoever created the layout should be fired :joy::joy:

1 Like

Darling Rose Gold was a massive disappointment to me! Lots of people enjoyed it. I don’t believe it’s been released to the public yet but it’s been on several giveaway sites. I did finish it and it kept my interest enough to see it to the end but the overall story and how it ended was so disappointing. The story was basically copied from a famous real-life case. Y’all will know which one I’m referring to once you read it. Even the names in the book are similar to the case but the way the author wrote the book is just so wrong…the ending was wrong. It was really messed up from beginning to end and it bothered me. But that’s just my two cents and like I said, tons of people enjoyed it.

I felt like it was basically copied from an actual case (which is sad and wrong to do in the first place), and then she (the author) put a twist on it. Literally anyone can do that! Ok, rant over. :joy::joy:

1 Like

Yeah, it means did not finish. I used to always finish a book but over the last two years decided not to read things I’m not enjoying.

1 Like

I was disappointed by The Hazelwood as well, it took me forever to finish the audiobook, might pass on the second novel.

1 Like

I passed my Book of the Month copy to a friend and she also did not care for it.

Have you read The Vine Witch? It’s a similar style but pretty good.

2 Likes

I have not but I have a copy of it on my kindle to read! I’ll check it out.

1 Like

I loved The Immoralists. Couldn’t finish American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins though.

1 Like

I give a book 50-100 pages before I decide not to finish it. I have too many other books I want to read.

2 Likes

That’s a good rule to go by. I’m going to start doing the same. I’ve got too many books to read to mess around with ones that aren’t good!

Also, I’m surprised you liked The Immortalists! I had a hard time getting into it.

2 Likes

Was it you I was talking about The Vine Witch with before today? I can’t remember. If so, sorry to be so repetitive about It! My memory is terrible and I talk to several people on here. It can be hard for me to keep track of what I say and to whom. I have the memory of a goldfish :joy::joy:

Loved The Immoralists. It was a different type of read for me and I guess I needed something different. I was so happy when someone dropped it off at my own Little Free Library!

1 Like

That’s awesome! I feel like I need to re-read it and give it another chance.

I loved The Immortalists!

1 Like

There were so many books that left me disappointed this year, but I’ll simply focus on those read over the past three months. I consider myself fortunate when given access to review copies and several that I had been looking forward to reading left me quite disappointed afterwards: The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes (primarily because it read as a ripped off version of The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson – a book I loved), The Rise of Magicks by Nora Roberts, and A Madness of Sunshine by Nalini Singh (a book billed as a mystery-thriller that I had completely figured out after only a few chapters).

Needless to say there were some hit or misses with some of my book club reads as well, but since I’m in 3 local book clubs (down from 4) and 4 online book clubs, that list is a bit too long.

1 Like

A librarian friend of mine suggested a wonderful formula for setting aside a book. Subtract your age from 100 pages and that’s the number of pages you should read before setting it aside. I love being over 50 now because it’s less pages to read, however, a book club buddy is 91 and she says that she doesn’t think she can use that formula or she’d never read a book. :wink:

2 Likes