Recommendations for POC horror?

Hey all I’ve been looking to read more POC friendly and POC focused horror - like the only good Indians and dread nation. Does anyone have any good recommendations for any more??

1 Like
  • I did not love it but The Year of Witching by Alexis Henderson.

Ya
*Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland (if you have not already read it.)
*Interview With the Vixen by Rebecca Barrow
*The Taking of Jake Livingston by Ryan Douglass (did not love it)
*Within These Wicked Walls by Lauren Blackwood

Middle Grade

• Spirit Hunters by Ellen Oh

Manga/Comics

• Junji Ito (antirecommend No Longer Human)
    I have read Smashed, Remina, Lovesickness.

• Reptilia by Kazuo Umezu

• Parasyte series by Hitoshi Iwaaki (I have not finished the series so I do not know if it ends well)

1 Like

Thank you so much I love Justina Ireland! I appreciate all the picks, and added these all to my TBR! <33 Cant appreciate this enough.

Hi!

The Year of The Witching by Alexis Henderson. Loved this one!
House of Hunger by Alexis Henderson. (wasn’t a fan)
Jackal by Erin E. Adams (wasn’t a fan)
We Don’t Swim Here by Vincent Tirado (it was okay)
You’re Not Supposed To Die Here Tonight by Kalynn Bayron . LOVED THIS!!

Even though I didn’t enjoy all of these you may have a different opinion so I wanted to share and happy reading!

1 Like

Hey there! I recently finished The Black God’s Drums by P. Djeli Clark. It is a slim, quick read, which describes the aftereffects of an altered New Orleans, caught in the turmoil of warring factions combining sacred Voudou, steampunk aircrafts, and a uniquely liberated sociopolitical atmosphere. Here, oppression and the tools to combat it has elements of the supernatural as well as other-earthly. Speaking of alternate universes, the Bitter Root graphic novel series by David Walker is adept at its treatment of the origins of systematic racism, and what it means (and takes) to be spiritually and supernaturally gifted to fight such a monster. The monsters are actualy afflicted like zombies of skinwalkers, and the central characters are generational slayers of the scourge. Very compelling considerations of past and present social issues, with a fantastical element for fun and intrigue!.

Ring Shout
https://amzn.to/459GRRf

The Magic of Marie Laveau: Embracing the Spiritual Legacy of the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans. I really enjoyed reading the story.