Romance can be funny

Welcome

Only rules of forum. All should be treated with respect, no politic or religion discussion. No self promotion.I

Come.join us on a variety of subjects, in particular light romance novels. We hope to create an atmosphere of warmth and friendship that nurtures all that spend time here.

With political climate being so aggravating these days, I’ve been gravitating toward light humorous romances instead of my usual diet of mystery/thrillers. I am currently binging on Tessa Dare and Maisey Yates books. Any romance authors that you enjoy or wish to discuss?

3 Likes

I absolutely love Meghan March. It leans more towards smut than light romance but I love the story lines in general because they are usually so out there, it would only be believable in a movie and I love it lol.

Jenna
Don’t get me wrong mysteries are my absolute favorite genre although I rarely read the cozy mysteries subgenre. I like romance as a palate cleanser after a gruesome or extremely good mystery. Rarely read y/a as I definitely am too old to relate. There is a book for all tastes. “Bromance Club” is on my radar to read. I currently an halfway thru “When a Scot Ties A Knot”
I
Read and liked
Carole Matthews"Happiness For Beginners. "

1 Like

Okay so I’m not at all a romance person. It takes a really good quality story to hook me… and I LOVED Christina Lauren’s book, The Unhoneymooners. It was the perfect rom-com. If anyone has suggestions to books that have a similar style, please recommend them!

2 Likes

@suehammy I’m not sure if you read Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston, but that’s also an enemies to lovers romance similar to The Unhoneymooners that was published this year and was very good! I also recommend reading Alexa Martin and Helen Hoang.

2 Likes

My misunderstanding! I’ll try reading Carole Matthews and see how I like her writing, thank you for your recommendation. :slight_smile:

I ditto Red, White, and Royal Blue. I adore Sally Thorne for light hearted romance. I have also been on a bit of a historical romance binge as there’s are writers now changing that genre.

1 Like

I actually just posted my review for it yesterday! It was cute!

1 Like

Hi. What a great idea. I totally agree. I find myself also looking for more whismisical, funny (somewhat cheesy) romances to read myself instead of the Mysteries/thriller/horror books i usually read.(They can be so depressing) lol. I’ve just discovered Sabrina Jefferies. I just finished “The Widow’s Aution.” It is like My fair lady. I loved how funny it was and touching and sad all at the same time. Has anyone read it? Ive never read Tessa Dare but ive heard good things about her. Has anyone read The trouble with Christmas by Amy Andrews? It was amoung the books to win/claim about a few months ago. It is a great funny story about a real life country Scrooge who meets a city optimist. Lol. Check it out.

I recommend Sophie Kinsella novels, I Owe You One was her most recent one. I’m the same where I don’t read a lot of romance but loved The Unhoneymooners and Red, White, and Royal Blue.

Hope that everyone is having a good Thanksgiving and finds a little me time to curl up with a good book. I listened to California Girls by Susan Mallery, narrated by Tanya Why and polished off the rest of When a Scot Ties the Knot Advice given to hero on how to seduce the heroine (around page 306) really cracked.me up!

I am currently listening to another type of love story, a true love story titled Finding Chika by Mitch Albom, read by author. I highly recommend the audio version of the book as you hear China herself in this version.

@cluny Hope you had a good day as well! I have a few books for this holiday weekend. I’m currently reading My Lady’s Choosing by Kitty Curran which is an interactive historical romance which is super fun, and I’ve only read one of the stories/routes. I also have an ARC of Mangos & Mistletoe by Adriana Herrera which I’m excited to start!

I wanted to read When The Scot Ties The Knot, but I didn’t realize it was a series so I put the first one on hold on the Libby app. I enjoyed the Tessa Dare books I’ve read before so I’m hoping I’ll like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

If there are any fans of Robyn(sp?) Carr , I just noticed a new series on Netflix based on her first book in the **Virgin River ** series .

Hope that everyone survived the holidays. Did anyone get any books for Christmas? I read two Vanessa Kelly books in her Clan Kendrick series. Story plot and characters were interesting in both tho imo pacing lags and could be tighter.

Binge watched “Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”, “Virgin River” and halfway thru “The Boys”(viewing definitely not for children). Currently reading mystery/suspense ,read an ARC about CBD and I am crocheting alot.

What is everyone else up to?

1 Like

Just read HUNTING FOR A HIGHLANDER by Lynsay Sands. I’ve read her Argeneau(sp?) Vampire series extensively but never before ventured into her historical romance bodice rippers. This book imo was primarily told from the male hero’s perspective which was a pleasant change. Very humorous and if you read it, you will understand why the hashtag should read #bodice dipper rather than bodice ripper!

Finished latest by Jill Shalvis “Almost Just Friends”. If you like contemporary romance with substantial story and characters, try this author.

How is everyone coping? Have kid’s and /or spouses driven anyone crazy yet? Working from home or stressed by job loss/layoff? Any coping tips that you’d like to offer or things you would like to vent?

In addition to crocheting profusely, I am binge listening to historical and hysterically funny in spots romances by Lynsay Sands. The narrators have so far been wonderful.

So far I have listened to:
HIGHLANDER TAKES A BRIDE
SURRENDER TO THE HIGHLANDER
FALLING FOR THE HIGHLANDER

Watched movie JINX which I found very funny(but not for children)

1 Like