Share your January 2023 TBR šŸ“š

My TBR list is too much to post on here. However, some on my TBR that Iā€™d like to read are:
People We Meet on Vacation
Summer of ā€˜69
The Betrayal of Anne Frank
The Messy Loves of Book People
The Paper Magician

Here is my TBR pile:
The Devil You Know by P. J. Tracy (NetGalley ARC)
Everyone In My Family Has Killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson (NetGalley ARC)
Snuffed Out by Valona Jones (NetGalley ARC)
To Hell and Back by Craig Johnson
Iā€™m behind on my Louise Penny series, so whatever book is up next.
Not sure on the non-fiction title, but probably a book on writing/storytelling

Iā€™m hoping to read:
The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida by Shehan Karunatilaka
Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend
Life on the Rocks by Juli Berwald
Never Ever Getting Back Together by Sophie Gonzales
The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M Valente
River of Silver by SA Chakraborty
There There by Tommy Orange

January tbr:
The Light We Carry
Saving Mrs. Roosevelt
Between Shades of Gray
The Littlest Library
The Engineerā€™s Wife

Here is my crazy method of planning out each monthā€™s TBR, haha.

I always have a short-term TBR list (in addition to my massive 1,000+ book TBR on Goodreads) and each month I try to figure out the puzzle of what will fit this monthā€™s bingo board to decide what I will actually read this month! This is what my current plan looks like.

1 Like

My ambitious TBR for January. Most of these were Christmas gifts, but theyā€™re all on my immediate want-to-read radar. I hope I get through at least a few!

For this monthā€™s TBR, I do a lot of listening so hopefully, it wonā€™t be too hard. These are just the books that are for Januaryā€™s challenges.

Oooh please let me know how Five Survive is. It is one of the many books on my TBR.

Your mind and my mind work in the same way!!!

I havenā€™t got my yearly TBR sorted, let alone January, but here is the start:

1. Still Life by Louise Penny
  2. Jacobā€™s Room is Full of Books - Susan Hill
  3. The Windsor Knot - S. J. Bennett
  4. Unknown yet
  5. Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy - Serhii Plokhy
  6. Unknown yet
  7. The Maid - Nita Prose
  8. American Gods - Neil Gaiman
  9. Unknown yet - probably a cozy mystery
  10. Unknown yet
  11. Unknown yet
  12. Unknown yet
  13. Unknown yet - too many choices
  14. Unknown yet
  15. Unknown yet
  16. Unknown yet
  17. Unknown yet
  18. The Birdmanā€™s Wife - Melissa Ashley
  19. Smuggled: A History of Illegal Journeys to Australia - Julie Kalman and Ruth Balint
  20. Mr. Romanovā€™s Garden in the Sky - Robert Newton
  21. Unknown yet - maybe The Binding by B. R. Collins
  22. Other Minds - Peter Godfrey-Smith
  23. The House with Chicken Legs - Sophie Anderson
  24. We Are Giants - Amber Lee Dodd

Itā€™s very ambitious to get through all of these, but a combination of audio and ā€˜otherā€™ books, maybe could be done, will just have to see :grin:

January TBR
Stange the Dreamer
Babel
White Horse
Queen of Theives

This is my January TBR list:

Emily Wildeā€™s Encyclopedia of Faeries by Heather Fawcett
Portrait of a Thief by Grace D. Li
Last of the Talons by Sophie Kim
The Blood Trials by N. E. Davenport
The last two books in the Guilded Wolves Trilogy by Roshani Chokshi
The last two books in the Dreamer Trilogy by Maggie Steifvater
The last two books in the Serpent and dove trilogy by Shelby Maurin
Realmbreaker by Victoria Aveyard
Ashfall Legacy by Pitticus Lore
Foul Lady Fortune by Chloe Gong
Defy the night and Defend the Dawn by Bridgid Kemmerer
A Fire Endless by Rebecca Ross
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
Sign Here by Claudia Lux

my january hopefuls are:

• the attic child by lola jaye
  • the good sister by sally hepworth
  • the third wife by lisa jewell
  • elfie by gabrielle dubois
  • the davenports by krystal marquis
  • ugly love by coho
  • plus one by kelsey rodkey
  • the plus one by mazey eddings
  • the collected regrets of clover by mikki brammer

Starting off 2023 with a lot of TBR from 2022!

• Consider Me by Becca Mack
  • Anastasia by Sophie Lark
  • Sea of Ruin by Pam Godwin
  • Mile Hogh by Liz Tomforde
  • Irresistible by Melanie Harlow
  • In a Jam by Kate Canterbary

Iā€™m really good at saying Iā€™m gonna read something and then not touching it for months.
My hope is to read - Seed by Ania Ahlborn, gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, savage and the swan by Ella Fields, and the demonā€™s bargain by Katee Robert.

Have you read a series called Desert Flowers Mysteries? I call it the Poppy Harmon series. They were books recommended to be when I contacted the publisher about a book I could pair with in my review, to go alongside the new book about Betty White (Pearls of Wisdom). Well, I had come across a Poppy Harmon book and it was the fifth in the series. When I contacted the publisher, come to find out the writer, Lee Hollis, was a writer for the sitcom, the Golden Girls. And, when I read the Poppy Harmon series, you really get some of the feel that the sitcom gives you. And, when I read the first five chapters of Peg and Rose, I felt that same warmth and undertones of a little dark humor. The publishers recommended the Peg and Rose books, if I liked the Poppy Harmon books and, also Isabel Puddles (I think they are called the Mitten State Mysteries). Isabel Puddles is a great character, you can imagine her right in the mix of Peg and Rose, maybe a little younger, a smidge, but more like a disorganized woman McGyver who can get out of problems with the mix of things (you would never think to find) in her purse. And, I really love the Kensington cozy mysteries, they have an amazing catalog, they treat their readers great. I was amazed to find out that they have a program, when you buy one of their books or take one out of the library, you get a credit (like a hole punch on a reader card they give you) and, when you get ten, they send you out a free book. Had I known that before I got too many late fines on my library card and had to say enough with this! I wish I could share the entire catalog with you, just the Golden Girl type series they offer to readers alone, it was absolutely shocking, really. And, in talking with the publishers I have never really met two women who would take such time out to help me plan an article for a small, regional, free, paper. I really encourage you to check out the books, even Kensington as they even offer monthly prizes on their Betweenthechapters site for sharing reviews!

1 Like

For Christmas I was never given books to read as I never had readers who were friends or family and people never thought to try and get me anything like that, something I really loved. But, the Thomas Harris books. As I have seen the first two books, (sorry) seen the movies so many times (read the books, duh), when you read them, will you tell me if they differed, if they were worth reading? I usually would say that yes, books differ. But, since Harry Potter and the way in which they stuck to the books I have found that other movies, based on books, do this too. Weird I came across this post as just yesterday I came upon the knowledge that The Talented Mr. Ripley had two books, after the first, which was made into a movie. I had never read the first book but knowing that the story went on, after the first, I wanted to know what happened with Tom Ripley, where he went after the movie ends. I figured I would start with the first book and found it very different from the movie. And, while the story felt, mostly, the same, it was the impression I got about Ripley that changed, after reading the book. In the movie, I always got the impression that Ripley would go on, impersonating Dickie Greenleaf or, at least, that he was done with Tom Ripley. But, that is not the case. And, I continued to read the second book, about sixteen hours later (after some sleep to), losing steam, I stopped at the beginning of the third, thinking Iā€™d come back to it after some rest. I really would love to know how the books turn out. Actually, Red Dragon was a movie, and the fourth. I donā€™t know if they are worth reading, if you have seen the movies, but, let me know, please. One of the best books that was also a great movie, Jurassic Park, was so much better than the movie. I wish though, that Crichton would have written the rest of the series, rather than stopping after the second. Oh the places Crichton could have gone with that franchise! Man he could have really cashed in! The funny thing is I tried to find a third book and found out that Crichton didnā€™t write one, it was just the movie. However, I found the book based on the movie. If you have ever read a book based on a movie. I think there was only one good book based on a movie I ever read (that means the movie was made and the author writes on what is in the movie, if you didnā€™t know, just a reminder) and it was an eighties, old, paperback copy of a book whose name is on the tip of my tongue at the moment (something soldiers with some young eighties boy stars in it). Anyway, it just seems like every time an author gets that assignment they never develop the character well and stay on point with everything in the movie which never gives justice to the book form. They should really give authors more permission to add their own imprint on the book which never seems to happen. *And, I hope my responses, as long as they are, are okay here. Trust me when I tell you that when I have a length limit with anything, I end up writing for a really long time, editing, mostly!

My Jan TBR:
Break No Bones by Kathy Reichs
Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman
Half a War by Joe Abercrombie
How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t with Your Kids: A Practical Guide to Becoming a Calmer, Happier Parent by Carla Naumburg
A Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
Virgin River by Robyn Carr
The Red by Tiffany Reisz
Junk Magic by Karen Chance
Taste of Innocence, The by Stephanie Laurens
Hearts in Darkness by Laura Kaye
Dream House by Stephanie Fournet
Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas
What Price Love? by Stephanie Laurens
A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare
Feisty First Ladies and Other Unforgettable White House Women by Autumn Stevens
Weight Expectations by M.E. Carter