Thoughts on Upcoming Books on BookishFirst?

What do y’all think of the 4 upcoming books listed here on BookishFirst? The books are:

1. Sweet Sorrow by David Nicholls
  2. Wake Up, Wanda Wiley by Andrew Diamond
  3. The Best Laid Plans by Cameron Lund
  4. One Day You’ll Burn by Joseph Schneider

For those of you on NetGalley, you can find Sweet Sorrow there as a “read now” book! You can also request to read One Day You’ll Burn.

Wake Up, Wanda Wiley was listed on Goodreads as an e-book previously so some of you may already own it. :raising_hand_woman::raising_hand_woman:

Have you read any of these books?
Which ones are you interested in? Why?
Which ones are you not interested in? Why?

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on Sweet Sorrow via Netgalley, I grabbed my copy early, it was the only one I was interested in reading out of them all. I’m actually glad none of them called out to me (I might still enter raffles) because I can save up my points again for a book in the future! :smiley:

1 Like

I agree! I’m not interest in any of the books listed that I don’t already own. I own 2/4 books listed already. I’ll still read the First Impression and give my feedback but I won’t be entering any raffles this time around. That’s ok though, I’ve got plenty to read! I went a little nuts on NetGalley…:joy::joy:

1 Like

I have way too many NetGalley books XD I have a problem but hopefully this upcoming year I can get back on track and read them. I’ll get the points as well but won’t enter the raffles, I did that for almost two months this year because nothing called out to me. I don’t want any books on my TBR that I won’t read.

I just wanted to add that if you’re an Edelweiss+ reader, Sweet Sorrow, One Day You’ll Burn, and The Best Laid Plans are all available for request.

I do not like a single one of the covers. They all seem to have a similar theme, too. Lots of summery blues and yellows, flat two-dimensional imagery, and silhouettes.

I first heard about The Best Laid Plans through a Goodreads Giveaway. It sounds like a cute coming-of-age story. It’s not something I would typically read, though.

Honestly, none of them really spark much interest. I will still read the First Looks when they become available, because who knows, the books might surprise me! I thought I would not care for Followers AT ALL but after reading the First Look I was really impressed!

2 Likes

I always check NetGalley and Edelweiss+ for copies of the books featured by Bookish First. If I obtain a copy from one of those sites, I just turn in my First Impression for points, but I don’t enter the raffle. I come back later to share my review. (I like that Bookish First allows you to earn points for reviewing books even if you didn’t obtain a copy from their site.)

4 Likes

I don’t like any of the covers either and that can really put me off a book. I know I’m not supposed to judge a book by its cover but I definitely do. I can’t help it!

I just joined Edelweiss+ and asked you some questions about it on another thread. It’s a bit confusing! I’ve requested some books but I have no idea what to do to make sure I get approved.

1 Like

I judge books by their covers, too. I really can’t help it. There are certain things about a cover that give away 1) the genre and 2) whether it was professionally edited. I am subscribed to several ARC review sites so I have to be selective. I was surprised by the list that Bookish First shared on Twitter of their favorite covers for 2019; I hated all of them.

And I responded to your Edelweiss+ query on the other thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think Sweet Sorrow sounds interesting and could be one I will hope to win (or claim). The Joseph Schneider detective story sounds like it could be a good story, even though it’s spooky subject matter. The other two I doubt will be for me; however, it is possible that the preview chapters for Wake Up, Wanda Wiley will change my mind. I really doubt I will want to read the Lund book. Once again, however, I am interested to read the preview chapters. Maybe the cover design makes the book less appealing than it is ???

2 Likes

Yes the cover designs really threw me for a loop this time around. I judge books by their covers and I’m not afraid to say it! Lol.

Are you on NetGalley? You can read Sweet Sorrow as a “read now” e-book on that site.

1 Like

Actually, I am not on NetGalley. Sometimes I have such a backlog of books or other non-reading projects pending that I haven’t gone looking for more. However, I must say - it is tempting!

2 Likes

NetGalley is worth it, in my opinion. But I also got overwhelmed so I can see why you’re apprehensive about it.

1 Like

I wasn’t impressed by the choices for the month of January. Hopefully February has better options

6 Likes

Fingers crossed for some awesome February titles! :raised_hands:

4 Likes

I’m excited that Chain of Gold is going to be an option next week!! I’ve already preordered, but I’m looking forward to the first look :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I pre-ordered too (and won’t cancel getting a finished copy) but I’m still using my points for an ARC tonight!

2 Likes

I agree 100% about the policy of Bookish First. It really is a nice option to review and earn points!

I am so excited to see ‘The Sin in the Steel’ is up for grabs next week. I’ve been saving my points, waiting for a book I really wanted to read and to see this one has me super happy/excited. It has things I enjoy - tough female protagonist, pirates, fantasy… reminds me of The Liveship Trader trilogy by Robin Hobb, but not quite.