BookishFirst Holiday Party

LOL!! That’s too funny!!

• Favorite book you read: The Grace Year
  • Favorite review you shared on BookishFirst (share a link!): Wild Game https://www.bookishfirst.com/books/wild-game-my-mother-her-lover-and-me/reviews/a-must-read-for-2019
  • Total books read: 82 (and counting!)
  • Most read genre: Contemporary fiction!
  • Number of BookishFirst raffle wins: 7
  • Share any of your own exciting book-related stats!: The longest book I read this year was 984 pages! Yikes! :gift:
5 Likes

@sfbookgirl Wow, 984 pages must have took a while lol, what book was it?

1 Like

Have you read anything by Carrie Ann Ryan? She wrote Breathless With Her and the next book in the series, Breathless With you, comes out soon I believe. She writes contemporary romance and paranormal books. I own Breathless With Her if you want my copy to give her a try! Just let me know.

The Magical Language of Others is another book that you might like that comes out in early Jan of 2020. It’s by E.J. Koh.

There’s a new book called And They Called it Camelot; A Memoir of Jacqueline Bouvier Onassis that you also might enjoy. It’s by Stephanie Thornton.

Give those a try! It’s hard for me to recommend these genres as I don’t normally read them but it’s a start!

2 Likes

My favorite book that I read this year was one that I read for school: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. It was such an amazing read, and I definitely recommend it to everyone! By the end of the year, I’ll have read 12 books (not that many because of school). My most read genre this year was fantasy (per usual :joy:)! How was everyone else’s reading year? :gift:

1 Like

Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas! :joy:

2 Likes

Was it any good?? I hope it was worth the (over) 900 pages!! Lol

3 Likes

:gift: One of the best books I read this year was The End of the World Running Club. It surprised me, as it was not the typical apocalypse novel and left me emotional.

My favorite review that I shared was for Frankly in Love. It would not let me share the link, so here is the review:
Frank Li was raised in Southern California, but his Korean parents still want him to keep with their traditions and end up with a Korean girl. After his sister Hanna is disowned for being with someone outside of their race, Frank feels the pressure to toe the line. When he meets the girl of his dreams, what can Frank do to be happy and, at the same time, to honor his parents?

David Joon, in a note to readers, explains that Frank’s core - his life, beliefs, and family dynamics - stem from the author’s own experiences. This, as well as a good story and well developed characterization, gives Frankly in Love a very realistic quality. I particularly like how the book moves past the normal YA type issues and tackles racism in a clear and honest way. Readers will be able to identify with Frank and his situation, especially regarding the pressures that teenagers face. The only misstep in the whole book is the ending, as the last sentence just drops off into nothing.

Overall, Frankly in Love was an excellent read and one that I would wholeheartedly recommend to readers, despite their age or gender.

My total books read is 386 and I am right on target to read 400 before the end of this year.

My most read genre is mystery/thriller, although I pick from all categories.

I claimed three books with reward points and won two. There were many others that I wanted to win or claim, but I was too slow! No worries, I just checked them out at the local library.

I have been listening to a lot of audiobooks when I cannot have a printed book in my hands. I now read when I mow the lawn, wrap presents, and clean the house!

1 Like

Wow that is a lot of books! I’m at 259 right now. I love Mystery/Thrillers as well and I’m big into listening to audiobooks while I clean/bike. :smiley:

1 Like

I really liked To Best The Boys by Mary Weber as well!

1 Like

It was definitely worth it! A great end to the Throne of Glass saga!

2 Likes

I haven’t read To Best The Boys. What genre is it?

1 Like

I read 20 books this year. My favorite was Verity by Colleen Hoover. My most-read genre was suspense/thriller🎁

1 Like

It’s fantasy, I believe! It was also featured in one of the past FairyLoot boxes!

Loved Fountains of Silence. I have posted over 70 reviews this year on Goodreads so I am guessing that my number of books this year is approaching about 90. My family never catches me without a book in my hands.

2 Likes

I read 70 books this year. This was the first year I made my own reading journal and I LOVED it. I plan on using the same format for next year. :gift:

2 Likes

I loved this book! I wasn’t crazy about the ending but overall loved it.

1 Like

It is not my usual genre, but I will have to check it out. Thanks

2 Likes

Happy Holidays!! :gift:

Favorite book of 2019: Frankissstein—Jeanette Winterson
Favorite review I shared on BF: Empire of Lies
Total books read in 2019: 356 and counting
Most read genre: suspense
Number of raffles won: 2

1 Like

I’ve read close to 300 books this year. I was able to narrow it down to my top 19, which I shared on my blog today !:gift: My most frequently read genre would probably be psychological suspense. I’m not sure how many raffles I’ve won. I know it’s been a few.

2 Likes