Friday Question #47: Do you collect multiple copies of the same book?

Happy Friday, BookishFirst Readers!

Do you have or collect multiple editions of the same book?

2 Likes

Nope, not usually. The one exception to that is if I’ve read a book to the point of it falling apart, then I do pick up a second one and keep the first for sentimentality’s sake.

2 Likes

Yes!!! Sometimes a publisher makes illustrated editions of something I already have, or an extended version, or even a graphic novel edition and if I love the book I will get the other ones.

I’ve bought multiple editions of the same book—but not on puurpose

I do not. Not because I don’t like the different editions but I really can’t afford to go buy 5 of the same book…plus at some point I will absolutely run of out space…which has happened LOL. I do have ebooks versions of many of my hard copies.

1 Like

Harry Potter only because it made me fall in love with reading. I have hardback, paperback, illustrated, and other random editions of that series.

I’ve done that when I forget that I already have a copy. Other than that I usually keep one copy. Only time I broke that rule was for Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, I have a physical copy, audio book, and ebook of it because of what part it had in inspiring me though hard times and that its one of my all time favorite for over five years.

I believe I only have one book in 2 editions and this is because it was a translated work and the first one wasn’t the best so I have another edition that was a better translation.

1 Like

I don’t collect multiple copies, but on occasion, I’ll borrow both the digital version and audiobook version so that I can read the book during my leisure time and listen to the book when I exercise or do housework.

No. I very rarely read a book twice. I don’t collect books. I admire people that do but it’s not me :worried:

Only a few where I have the an arc in ebook or print and the finished version

I will often purchase a digital copy of a book and if it’s enjoyed and reread then I’ll purchase a print copy. This usually happens with series.
There are a few books (okay, it was just one: FURIOUS HOURS: Murder, Fraud, and The Last Trial of Harper Lee by Casey Cep), where I’ve received a print and a digital ARC, and then gone on to purchase a digital copy of the book, a signed hardcover copy of the book, and even an audiobook version. I’m seriously debating if it’s too much to get a signed paperback copy of this book for my home library. :wink:
For some adored classics I may have the hardcover and several paperback versions in my home library in addition to a digital copy.

I have with Harry Potter series. Different types of the book, like illustrated and now the new red ones

Only one by Olly North because my husband and I each have a copy.

Only if it’s a paperback and the writing is so tiny it’s like leprechaun writing. Some publishers put out books with incredibly small writing so I’d rather have the hardcover or digital version instead. I’m not ruining my eyes for anyone.

If I do I give it to my friends and family so can have copy for Christmas or there birthday.

Rarely. I have some Christopher Pike doubles, but only because the paperbacks were old and I was afraid they’d start to fall apart when I reread them so I bought a handful in hardback to read those instead.
The story is what I’m invested in so a large majority of the time I only need one copy.

I like collecting beautiful editions of certain books or having both the ARC and finished copy if it’s meaningful to me. But then there are also some classics that I’ve some how ended up with three copies like Pride & Prejudice.

Yes. Sometimes I want an extra “lending copy” of a book I’d love to share with others. Sometimes the cover or end notes or illustrations in a second edition are delightful, but I can’t bear to part with my sentimental childhood copy. Sometimes I want an annotated version to enlighten me on historical context and a “reading copy” that is less cumbersome than an annotated version. I once read somewhere that a person should own one or three or more of a book-- one shows you like it or want to read it, two makes you look like you forgot you owned it, three shows you have a collection.

I don’t have multiple copies at home. However, sometimes I end up with multiple copies in my school library. This is only done on accident.

1 Like