Friday Questions #6: What are your favorite quick reads?

Wishing all of our BookishFirst Readers a very happy Friday!

Since the new year is quickly approaching, we’re desperately trying to reach our reading goals for 2019! Our favorite way of doing that is by reading short books, which is definitely not cheating. :wink: Do you have any fast read recommendations to help fellow BookishFirst Readers complete their reading challenges?

3 Likes

Here are some of our favorite quick reads that we wanted to share:

All Systems Red by Martha Wells
Let Us Dream by Alyssa Cole
Dear Martin by Nic Stone
We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Meddling and Murder by Ovidia Yu
What Girls Are Made Of by Elana K. Arnold
The Black God’s Drums by P. Djèlí Clark
The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang
Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

3 Likes

My Sister, The Serial Killer
The Gift of the Magi
Women Talking

3 Likes

My favorite quick reads are graphic novels.

One series I am following is Giant Days by John Allison and etc.

A duology I finished this year that was great is Sleepless by Sarah Vaughn.

1 Like

Misadventures with a Professor by Sierra Simone.
I was a quick read. It flowed really well, the H/h were great characters. I really enjoyed and definitely recommend it.

For Christmas, I always read one of Charles Dickens’ Christmas stories. There are 5 of them and they are all less than 200 pages. :santa:

2 Likes

My answer is a bit different! Many indie authors offer free books when you sign up for their newsletter. I love reading these books (they are typically short stories and novellas, but sometimes they are full-length) because it gives you a preview of how the author writes. If an author is able to make you fall in love with characters within just a few short pages, then you know they have great skill! The benefits go both ways: it’s kind of a try-before-you-buy situation for you, and it helps a budding indie author get publicity when you share your rating and review. I’ve found a lot of great authors that I otherwise may not have found by doing this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My quick reads are cozy mysteries!

Book shorts by James Patterson

1 Like

I like to find novellas that introduce you to some characters in a series that is beginning. I have found quite a few series that I have liked by reading those novellas.

All my favorites are horror novellas because there are so many and all so good!

1 Like

Agatha Christie or Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier. I always return to these two ladies…

For a quick read I’ll grab a Ivanovitch paperback, Patricia Cornwell Scarpetta series, or a story by Sherlock Holmes or Edgar Allan Poe. I also read articles from the Smithsonian, National Geographic, and archaeology magazines

I really enjoy The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker, most of James Patterson’s works are easy and quick reads for me. (I use them as breather books in between deep reads). Girl, Interrupted is a fantastic quick read.
Those are a few I enjoy. :blush: