November 2023 Bookish Bingo 🍽️

What will you read in November? Work on your reading goals this month with a new round of Bookish Bingo!

If you share a completed bingo in the comments below before December 1, you’ll receive 20 bonus points!

Check off one of the squares and reply to any post on our Instagram!

Click here to read the rules and download your Bookish bingo card below. Make sure you share your progress with us by using #BookishBingo on social media. Let us know what books you’re reading for each prompt below! When you get a bingo, shout it out here.

Nov BF '23 Bingo Board Forum

Have an idea for a future board? Share it here.

November Bookish Bingo prompts: Title begins with N, Set during a holiday, Character is a writer, Published in November, Family dinner, Read by the fireplace, Food on the cover, Part of a 10+ book series, Novella, Title begins with H, Transgender protagonist, Comic/graphic novel, free space, plane on the cover, Recommended on YouTube, Cover is brown, Set in Oregon, Familial term in the title, Read for 1 hour straight, Start a new series, Reply to BookishFirst post on Instagram, Indigenous author, Sapphic romance, Includes a recipe, Author you’re thankful for

2 Likes

A previous prompt was “A book set in your home state”. My state is Oregon and had found this link of Oregon-set books while trying to fulfill the previous prompt. Enjoy!

4 Likes

There is also this map of books all over the US if anyone wants to check it out for the Oregon prompt or any future state related prompts!

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/997b82273a12417798362d431897e1dc

5 Likes

Hi all! Does anyone have any recommendations for books involving a family dinner?

1 Like

Just reading Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall, which has a big family dinner halfway through and also has recipes in it. Looking forward to other suggestions too!

2 Likes

The only 10+ book series I know about is the Wheel of Time series, and I JUST finished those. Any suggestions are welcome! :grinning:

1 Like

I know several longer series depending on your interests. If you enjoy fantasy / paranormal, I’d recommend Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. For a mystery with witty humor, I’d recommend Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt. Those are the first books in the series.

JD Robb’s In Death Series (futuristic murder mysteries, but not weird futuristic with amazing characters) is on the 56th book. I’m also reading the Stephanie Plum series and the 30th was just released yesterday.

I’m planning on reading The Christmas Boutique by Jennifer Chiaverini. It is the 21st book in the Elm Creek Quilts series!

Have you read Anne McCaffery’s Pern series? or if you like the Tudor reign / history, there’s Philippa Gregory’s Plantagenant & Tudor series. Also Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles is over 10 books.

Bingo! I’m surprised I finished this one so quickly, especially given that two of my reads were over 500 pages each.

read by the fireplace: Wellness by Nathan Hill. I don’t have a fireplace, but I do have a vintage gas furnace in my living room, which features a window through which you can observe the flame when the heat is turned on. I thought it was purely decorative when I first moved in, but it’s actually the heat source for the apartment (which seems contraindicated by modern housing codes, it really doesn’t seem safe to have a gas furnace in my living room, but here we are). So I am considering this my poor woman’s fireplace. PS–I enjoyed this book a lot!

food on cover: Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid. Among other things (including an airplane, for people seeking a book to fulfill that prompt), there’s an outline of an apple on the cover. Great book, can’t wait for her new release coming out in January!

part of a 10+ book series: The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. I read this for a different challenge that called for reading “Nordic noir” & I didn’t realize until I was partway through that it was book #7 in the Harry Hole detective series, which comprises 13 books. This is not my preferred genre so I’m not planning to read the others, though this was fine for what it is.

novella: Y/N by Esther Yi. Some have called it a novel, some have called it a novella. It’s 206 pages of pretty widely-spaced text. It feels longer than it is because the writing is so dense & lush, but obviously I didn’t count the words. Enough people have called it a novella that I assumed it was universally accepted as one until I looked up the definition for this prompt & found that there is some disagreement about the exact meaning of the word. For my purposes, it’s a novella.

title begins with H: How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix. This book got so much fawning press, but it seemed like just a pretty typical horror novel to me. I’m not a connoisseur of the genre though, maybe I’m missing something.

2 Likes

Some of joanne Flukes cozy mysteries have recipes within the books. They are the ones with food titles like carrot cake murder and so on.

Thanks for the family dinner suggestions. I am reading Check & Mate by Ali Hazewood and there is a family dinner in it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

7 bingos!

Title begins with N - Northranger / Rey Terciero
Set during a holiday - The Comfort of Crows / Margaret Renkl
Character is a writer - Sail Me Away Home / Ann Clare LeZott
Published in November - The Cloisters / Katy Hays
Family dinner - Owner of a Lonely Heart / Beth Nguyen

Read by the fireplace :white_check_mark:
Food on the cover - Meet Me at the Museum / Anne Youngson
Part of a 10+ book series - Bark to the Future (Chet & Bernie #13) / Spencer Quinn
Novella - The New Hunger / Isaac Marion
Title begins with H - Hell of a Book / Jason Mott

Transgender protagonist - Stage Dreams / Melanie Gillman
Comic/graphic novel - Offshore Lightning / Nazuna Saito
free space :white_check_mark:
plane on the cover - Survivor / Chuck Palahniuk
Recommended on YouTube - Edith Holler / Edward Carey

Cover is brown - The Wonderland Collection / Lewis Carroll
Set in Oregon - Misfit City, vol. 1 / Kiwi Smith
Familial term in the title (not done)
Read for 1 hour straight :white_check_mark:
Start a new series - The Keeper of Night (book 1 of 2) / Kylie Baker

Reply to BookishFirst post on Instagram (not done)
Indigenous author - Two Tribes / Emily Bowen Cohen (Jewish and Muscogee)
Sapphic romance - What We Keep to Ourselves / Nancy Jooyoun Kim
Includes a recipe - Supper Club / Jackie Morrow
Author you’re thankful for - Vera Wong’s Unsolicited Advice for Murderers / Jesse Q. Sutanto

1 Like

title begins with N: November 9 (Colleen Hoover)
food on the cover: The Villa (Rachel Hawkins)
free space!
read for 1 hour straight: The Paris Apartment (Lucy Foley)
author you’re thankful for: Desiring God (John Piper)

1 Like

Bingo! I read these:

Family dinner: A Place for Us
Title begins with H: Happy Place
Recommended on youtube Long Shot
Start a new series: Blood Sisters
Author you’re thankful for: Anna Pitoniak/The Helsinki Affair

P.S. this bingo felt so much more doable than past months - loved it!

1 Like

I got bingo!

-Read by the Fireplace: Days at The Morisaki Bookship by Satoshi Yagisawa
-Food on the Cover: Revenge by Yoko Ogowa
-Part of a 10+ book series: Blood on the Tracks Volume 14 by Shuzo Oshimi
-Novella: You Should Have Left by Daniel Kehlmann
-Title that begins with H: Hooked by Emily McIntire

2 Likes

Deleting previously resolved

Double Bingo!

2 Likes

2 Likes