Poll: Do you review children's books?

Hi BookishFirst Readers!

Are you interested in reading and reviewing children’s books via BookishFirst raffles? In the comments below, feel free to explain your answers!

• Picture Books
  • Middle Grade Books
  • Both
  • Neither

0 voters

1 Like

As a teacher I am always looking for new, different and certain topics of books. I teach early Ele and we love new books :slight_smile:

I do review the occasional middle-grade book. It’s a nice change a pace and usually quite enjoyable. I would love to see some middle-grade offerings.

2 Likes

Not at the moment, though I may in the future because I work with kids and could review from a professional perspective. My main reason is just that I already have enough adult
books to read/review and don’t want to get backlogged.

Personally I would prefer to stick with adult/YA Fiction mostly. I have two young kids but BookishFirst is my time! Lol.

3 Likes

I’ve read several middle grade books (as an adult) with fantastic world building and story lines. So I don’t disregard them just because they are middle grade books.

2 Likes

You make a good point. One of my favorite book series is considered middle grade level reading. It’s called The Tillerman Series by Cynthia Voigt and includes Homecoming, Dicey’s Song, A Solitary Blue, etc. Fantastic books!

2 Likes

I would love to see middle grade books! For all the folks saying no, remember that Harry Potter starts as a middle grade series. Some of the most imaginative stuff being written right now is in the middle grade market. It’s not dumbed down and has broad appeal to all ages.

4 Likes

They are written by adults who obviously find them interesting enough to write!

1 Like

I’m becoming more of an adult/nonfiction/some YA reader these days. I’ll only read a middle grade if it is by an author I love like V. E Schwab.

1 Like

I’ll have to look those up! I suggest you try out the Nevermoor series by Jessica Townsend. Absolutely brilliant.

1 Like

Exactly! I think people forget that HP started out for children and became loved the world over. I think some of the middle grade fantasies I’ve read have had bigger and better world building then books meant for adults.

1 Like

Looking it up now! Thanks for the recommendation. I love finding a new series that I can really get into.

1 Like

Yes. I am up to reading anything. I am open. Lol. It is a great rest from the adult and the non-fiction i usually read. It is something different. And, you might discover the next JKRowling. Lol.

2 Likes

Yes, I like the picture books as a break from all the reading, plus I love the illustrations. As for middle grade, I also like those too for the reasons everyone has already mentioned :slight_smile: altho instead of harry potter, my go to middle grade book series was Artemis Fowl

1 Like

I agree. I would love to see some Middle Grade fantasies on here because I find many of those better than YA fantasy. Unlike YA, MG fantasies tend to focus more on world building and adventure. YA fantasy often gets sidetracked with romances.

5 Likes

I’m currently in school studying to become an elementary teacher, and also I’m writing my senior thesis about diverse children’s books, so I’m always interested in seeing what children’s books are being published!

2 Likes

That would be great, as a parent I would have my son read them as well

1 Like

Middle Grade can be a lot of fun to read. One of my favorites is The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy. I wouldn’t be adverse to seeing MG in the raffles.

2 Likes

I mean as long as the normal raffles were still happening.
I have read a lot of middle grade books that I found so interesting and well written. Sometimes there are subjects that are best written for that age because of the nature of kids .
I also have a 7 year old who learning to read so it would be something I would love to do with him.

2 Likes