What Do You Do With Books After You Read Them?

I’m curious to know what everyone else does with books they’ve won or used points for from Bookish First. I joined in April and amassed quite a pile of books since then, but I don’t generally keep books unless they’re a special edition or signed. So, my family and I decided to donate to a few classroom libraries, and I thought it was the perfect opportunity to donate some of the books! I can’t wait to start a pile to donate for next year!

5 Likes

I put them in my own classroom library, and since I also run the school’s Book Club, I also sometimes give them away to students as prizes.

3 Likes

Same here :slight_smile: though I check with the teacher first to see which books she wants. Any not right for the classroom go to friends, a LFL, or I give away on bookstagram.

2 Likes

Since I own a Bed & Breakfast I started a ‘Book Exchange’. Guests have left books they have read, so, I got quite a collection from them and books I won and books that have been given me as presents.
Books, books and books. They are displayed on a ladder as a book shelf. Now some books are keepers.

7 Likes

There’s a Swiss Chalet/Harvey’s near where I live that has a bookshelf near the order desk. People pay what they want for the donated books and all money goes to help a woman’s shelter. Last year they raised 17000 dollars. I give all my books to that bookshelf after I’ve read them. Great cause.

5 Likes

That’s a great idea for giving away books–classrooms are always in need of excellent books. I have been donating some of my books to Little Free Libraries around my area as well as to my public library either for their collection or to be sold as fundraisers in their “book nook.”

3 Likes

I love all your ideas. A great idea to give to classroom and school libraries as a lot of the Bookish First books have great queer and diverse representation.

2 Likes

I always think I’m weird for admitting this, but I don’t keep books after I’ve read them. I only have one book and it’s abook on birds.
I pass on all my books to my cousins who pass the books amongst a big friend group. It’s great when we all get together - it’s like a book club since we’ve all read the same books over the past months from the books I pass on.

3 Likes

I give them to people whom I think will enjoy them!

3 Likes

This is such a fun idea!

2 Likes

That is wonderful! I usually donate the adult books I get to The Noble Neighbor, which is a nonprofit that gives children access to books!

2 Likes

That’s not weird at all! I think there are a lot of people who either don’t have the space, or who just prefer ebooks or borrowing from a library.

2 Likes

I’ve donated to little free libraries and classrooms. I’ve hosted giveaways and passed some along to family, friends, and co-workers.

3 Likes

I keep most every book I buy. It has to be pretty bad to get rid of a book. Not great for space, I know, but I enjoy rereading old favorites.

3 Likes

I share the books with my sister and members of my book club. If they aren’t advanced copies I give them to the Friend’s Bookstore at my local library for resale. Advanced copies, of course, can’t be sold.

4 Likes

I share them with friends and if they return them I take them to a Little Free Library

4 Likes

I keep a few favorites for my permanent library. I give the away through a group on Facebook called Adopt a Book. Whoever wants to adopt the books pays for shipping, so it’s free for me to give them away to new homes. I’ve also gotten quite a few great book there as well!

2 Likes

I keep the books I have read.

3 Likes

I love Little Free Libraries - for donating and for discovering books.

5 Likes

It really depends on how much I enjoy the book, and then if it wasn’t really enjoyed but has a beautiful cover/spine I keep them. Otherwise, I donate.

1 Like