Friday Question #20: Do you utilize your library's digital collection?

I absolutely love Overdrive and Libby. I am forever using the audiobook option when I’m cleaning my house or at work by myself. Now since we’ve been by ourselves constantly through this weird time (that I really hope somebody is writing a book about), I’ve gone through multiple audiobooks and downloaded multiple e-books as well. That’s about the only way I am able to get new books right now.

I have been using Overdrive/Libby for years. Now that I’m retired and travel to my kids I don’t have to worry about completing my hook while out of state. Plus with the current quarantine environment, I find it essential to keep my reading list up and active.

My problem is I cannot get anything done I listen all day so I am half into the physical world. Even on my walks. A book I can relax with a cup of tea and relish the experience. My son gave me an Audible subscription. I have not used my library Cloud. There is a bigger selection with ebooks.

Yes, I just finished and returned one from our library: Reading People by Anne Bogel. I used to have Overdrive but now use Libby for both books and audiobooks.

Absolutely! All the time! Sometimes, I make recommendations when they don’t have a popular book!

I have overdrive and hoopla dowloaded on my kindle.

My son gave me Audible for Mums day. It is Ok.
Then downloaded library app-better selection for me.

I love Libby and overdrive and great selection, unfortunately no matter how hard i try i just cant seem to get into ebooks and audiobooks i cant do! When i read every character has their own voice in my head so audiobooks totally ruin the experience for me:( I really wish I could get over this tho!

I use Libby a ton, overdrive is a backup for me because I’m not fond of the Interface system of the app, it’s clunky and frustrating to use. I have actually had an increase in using Libby for audiobooks this year, since the library was closed most of the year.

I also use Hoopla but I can only get 5 borrows a month with It which sucks, but I make due, they have a decent amount of Graphic Novels which is great.

I don’t use any type of eReader for my reading because I prefer actual copies of books

I absolutely prefer print books, but years ago “gave in” and got a tablet/e-reader for long international trips to countries where leaving the book behind wasn’t really a benefit since few people spoke English and those few who did were not interested in foreign fiction books. During the initial months of the pandemic when our local libraries closed, the e-books were a lifesaver.

I agree with you about the clunky interface of Overdrive. The library’s Libby system works easily and (as I mentioned to someone else) was a real blessing when the libraries closed during the initial pandemic shutdown.

I use Libby and CloudLibrary. So amazingly convenient if you need to read! Just enter your ID and password from the library and you’re good to go!

Oh my yes! I have access to three digital audiobook/e-book apps through my library and routinely go through my Goodreads TBR and search through all the apps for available reads. I have used the e-book option much more in 2020 as well. I frequently listen to audiobooks while knitting and have started including a note for the recipient telling them which books or podcasts I listened to while creating their item.

I use both hoopla and overdrive from the library. I cannot afford my book habit.

I work at the library, and I use it like a boss! I have a ton of books checked out, and have been helping patrons with the Libby and Overdrive use during the closures/limited hours. I also make sure to recommend books on Facebook so my friends can see what’s new and exciting as well.

1 Like

I use Libby too. And that’s for my ebooks. It’s easy and user-friendly. For my audiobooks, (I am a super fan of Audible), I do not always use Audible to listen to them. I convert AAX to MP3 and use a music playing app to do this.

Use Audible too. And just like you, to listen to Audible audiobooks offline, I use the DRmare Audiobook Converter for Mac. And then I can convert Audible audiobooks and use them anywhere and anytime.

Yes I do use my library’s digital collection. I started using this after Covid 19 shut down all the branches of our libraries for a long period of time. Although I prefer to hold that book in my hand, the digital library certainly filled a need.

Every day. I always have an ebook and an audio book going. My limits are reached in holds just waiting for a new book to be available. Then when I find one that I just can’t stop reading, I purchase.